Networking a Desktop and Laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

lastshot

In Runtime
I am also having this same problem. The Hub I am using lights up when i connect the cables. And i recognises that there are cables connected. However I cannot get the computers to network, and I can only get internet on one of the computers. Could this be because of not using a crossover cable for the uplink?

I'm just going to assume a little here with a vivid explaination:

Is your setup: Internet > Cable Modem > Hub > Computers?

If you dont have any routing involved then this above setup wont work....

But please, list the types (makes and models) of devices you have between your computers and the internet.

ok yes i have the above setup (Internet > Cable Modem > Hub > Computers) and here is the actual makes and models . I have Optimum online With a motorola surfboard cable modem( sb5100). Then I have a Netgear Hub (En104tp). I have the cable modem linked to the uplink port, and the button pushed in so it is set to uplink( port #4) I have a desktop hooked into port #1, and a laptop hooked into port #2. Only the desktop has internet, and neither of the comps will network.( I was going to buy a linksys router, but then i saw this hub today at a tag sale for 50 cents.)

In short, you will need a router after the surfboard. The hub will only broadcast what it gets from the surfboard and cannot distinguish where the data actually needs to get to....the router will.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom