Networking

Status
Not open for further replies.

stuaz

In Runtime
I have two computers a network enabled printer and a netgear router. They are running Win XP...thsi will be my first time networking.. I can network the Printer no prob.. I wish to learn how to net work the 2 comps. They also need to share files. Just one folder.

Thanks

Your router will do most of the work... Make sure both your machines are set to "Workgroup" and you should be able to see both machines in your Network Places. Once you see the machines, simply share the folder you wish and thats it.
You may find that dissabling "simple file sharing" may help you when it comes to permissions to this folder.

Cross my fingers i dont have any probs!! lol... Is there any software/hardware that will allow me to montir these comps from a remote location and perhaps like step in and take control if the user is having difficulties?

there are a few apps that would work for that particular task. You may be able to use the standard windows remote desktop within the os.

Once you configure the Printer without DHCP and give it an IP address, all you have to do is add a network printer with the Add New Printer Wizard.

Ok just looked at the built in Microsft Soft...dosent seem to allow me to connect to a comp that isnt on my hme network?

stuaz said:
Ok just looked at the built in Microsft Soft...dosent seem to allow me to connect to a comp that isnt on my hme network?

Thats normal... You shouldn't be able to "easily" connect to a machine outside of your "workgroup".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom