networking 2 printers

Status
Not open for further replies.

xotix

Daemon Poster
how do i go about setting up 2 printers to be accessible by a network of 30 computers??

There are two basic ways to share printers over a network.

The first way is to install the printer locally on a machine using a USB or Parallel cable, then sharing it. This will work as long as the host machine is turned on. If you turn off the PC that has the printer installed, nobody will have access to that printer.

The second way is by using a Print Server Device. Many printers have this integrated onto the printers. It is basically an RJ-45 Ethernet plug on the printer itself. You will still need a server of some sort to manage the printing but it doesn't reside on a workstation so there tends to be a higher stability rate.

This is assuming you are running Windows clients using TCP/IP.

The question is..... What kind of printers will be shared? That will make determining which method to use much easier.

yes all clients are using windows.
1 hp lazerjet 4 plus and 1 lazerjet 1200 series.
i want to setup a printing section, have both printers beside each other in a corner, and the computers throughout the rest of the room as it is.

thanks for the help so far, any other questions just ask please.

ok, i tried sharing the printer as it is right now, but none of the computers are able to see them except the one that it is connected to. help please.

Are the computers setup on a workgroup or a domain environment?

If they are in a workgroup, make sure all of the are using the same workgroup name.

If on a domain, it should be listed under the host PC. So you would have to double-click on the computer itself, then the shared printer should be visible under the host PC.

ok i got around 5 computers to use the printer.

however, 3 computers are not seeing the other computers, but the other computers are able to see them. thus i can't install the printer on them.

thanks alot for your help holocron.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom