networking 2 computers

Status
Not open for further replies.

robina_80

Banned
ive decided following on from my last topic firewire 800 im going to network my 2 computers together im going to buy one 1000gbit nic card for my old computer and my main computer has a int nic card already which is 1000gbit, what ethernet cable should i use to get speeds of 1000gbit does cat5e do it or 6e

both cat5e and cat6 support 1gbps.but make sure that your switch is gigabit. or you will just connect it thru crossover cable.

Over short distances I highly doubt cat6 would be any better. It's just wire, metal conducts electricity. Over long distances shielding and interference can become a problem, but over shorter distances there's not really a reason to go cat6.

^that being said the price difference between cat5e and cat6 is negligeble (hope I spelt that rite)
So basically it's just whichever cable you see first you get, regardless of whether it's cat5e or cat6 :) over short distances anyway.

edit: ****, bla posted. I did the ^ thing to calc

Cat5e has a max transfer rate of 350Mbps while Cat6 has max of 1Gbps.

Depending on the specs of the "old computer" I might not care about the difference, since a gigabit network card is constrained by the speed of the PCI bus as well.

Source: FAQs: CAT-5, CAT-5e, CAT-6, CAT-7 Patch Cables, difference between 10BASE-T, 100BASE-T and 1000BASE-T

if you will read it properly i think M stands for mhz because max frequency supported by cat5e is 350mhz and cat6 is 550mhz to 1000mhz so cat6 performs better than cat5e try googling or ask any networking expert and they will tell you that cat5e supports 1gbps.the only drawback is cat5e will not be able to support full duplexing for gigbait connections.

ive made myself a crossover lead, plug them in both computers, change the tcp/ip of both making them static ip's the same subnet mask and it doesnt work any help?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom