networking

Status
Not open for further replies.

bloodhamster

Solid State Member
I HAVE JUST BUILT A GAMEING COMPUTER. IT IS LOADED UP WITH WINDOWS XP AND READY TO GO . I INSTALLED AN ADSL INTERNAL MODEM IN THE BUILD BUT IT WILL NOT CONNECT. I HAVE BEEN TOLD I NEED A ROUTER PLUS THIS AND THAT. AS THIS NEW BUILD IS A GAMEING SYSTEM WHAT DO YOU THINK IS MY BEST OPTIONS. WIRELESS , NON WIRELESS?

WE CAN SEE REGULAR TEXT JUST FINE. THERE IS NO NEED TO USE ALL CAPS.

Anyways, do you already have ADSL at your house that was being used by an external modem?

As it states in the Networking Forum Guidelines: Please Read, please provide as much detail as you can (lower case hopefully).

As Elbatrop1 asked, do you already have an ADSL modem on that telephone line?? Take note that a single telephone line can only have ONE modem on it. From there, if you want to share the internet with more than 1 host, you will either need a router, or a computer with more than 1 NIC in it.

Does your ADSL modem have a build in router or an additional port where you can connect another host, or just the RJ-11 input jack?

As far as going wired or wireless, it doesn't really matter for a gaming PC, either will be fine, unless you plan on having alot of data moving around the LAN via wireless hosts....

thanks for your reply. you have answerd my question. my other computer has an external modem {no jacks} it seems the way to go is a router.i was told to get arouter by my gameing rig. an ethernet card and a usb wireless dongle? what would you do.

Depending on the distance between your gaming rig at the DSL modem, you could run a wire, but wireless would be find also if you would have to go through several rooms.

Just note that if you use a wireless dongle your router must support the same wireless standard (802.11a, 802.11b or 802.11g). Note also that the 802.11b & g's use 2.4Ghz which is a crowded frequency.... cordless phones, microwave ovens and other gadgets operate within the same frequency, so try to keep the computer away from those sources.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom