Network with wireless

Status
Not open for further replies.

fhpgth

Beta member
Hi, This is a long post but necessary for proper info.

This is what I have now.
Second floor- Laptop with built in wi/fi on a port replicator, attached to a VisionNet DSL modem. I use Earthlink's service. This phone line is working properly right now with plugin line filter thru ups. I also have a Linksys wireless B router that is not connected at this time. Laptop has XP Home. Distance to other computer is about 35 feet. House is all wood. This is our main living floor.

First floor- Desk top system with Belkin network PCI card installed. Earthlink tech support determined this phone line is not good enough to run DSL. I have a wall mount phone jack with built in filter here. Desk top has Win2K Pro. This is my studio area.

Shows how much I know, I just found out that the computer that has the modem attached must be turned on to have wireless networking.

This is what I want.
To be able to use the laptop wirelessly throughout the house, preferably, without having to go down stairs to turn on the desk top system. I would prefer to not have the desk top on 24/7.

These are the options I see at this time.
1 Replace the first floor phone line going directly to the outside box (not a big deal). Attach DSL and router to desk top. Leave system on all the time. When DSL "kicks off" restart thru software.
Or:
2 Run a cat5 cable from second floor to first (more difficult but not impossible) connecting first floor desk top to router on second floor. Router connected to modem, modem connected to presently working phone line. Router then connects to port replicator. Since the cat5 cable would be hard connected to the first floor system I should be able to turn it on from the replicator (also hard wired) if I can get the wake on lan function on the desk top to work. Then I could use the laptop wirelessly. This method seems to be the most practical to me if it will work.

Questions:
1 What is your opinion on these options?
2 I there a better way to get what I desire?
3 Would a cross over cable be needed for option 2?
4 Will the wireless connection be slower than the hard wired connection?
5 Would I be able with option 2 to access the internet, the desktop system and it's printer:as well as the other periferrals on both systems?
6 What else do I need to know?

Thanks for taking the time to read this long post.

I do appreciate your input.
TH

what i think u should do, correct me if im wrong with ur setup. can u connect ur modem to ur router or does it have the modem built in? if u can connect u can leave it on without havin another computer turned on to hold the connection, the router would give u the wireless for the laptop and probles for the desktop aswel. it would run at 11mbs which is slower than most cat5 connections but its fast enough if ur just using for the internet. not sure what u mean about the port replicator cos neva used be4 but thats how i would go about ur problem

aj2003,
Thanks for the reply. I have a seperate modem and router. The instructions say to hook up this way: The telephone would plug into the modem and the router would be connected to the modem with a CAT5 cable. The router has several ports on it for Cat5 cables that can be used for other computers, printers, etc.

The laptop simply snaps onto the replicator. All other office equipment is plugged into the various ports on the replicator so that the laptop essentially works like a fully connected desktop.

If I understand correctly you're saying that I would not have to have the desktop on in order for the laptop to work wirelessly. Is this correct? If so, I'll have to try to set up again. I tried this a few days ago and couldn't get it to work. I could call tech support and maybe they could walk me thru.
Thanks, TH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom