Network a wired and wireless pc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevinator9

Baseband Member
Hi there,

I have looked through numerous posts and tried to do this myself but it just won't seem to work. I have a desktop computer conected to the internet with a dsl-g604t by wire and a laptop connected to the internet wirelessly with the same thing. I would like to setup a network so that I can print stuff off with my epsom cx3700 without having to unplug it from my desktop and plug it into my laptop (which is what I have to do at the moment with the usb cable). I have tried to setup a network with the network setup wizard but one is wireless and one is wired and they both have different setup tools... If i was also able to share files between the two computers that would be an added bonus.
Thanks for any help that can be given
Andrew

P.S. my brother also has a macbook and if would be helpfull if he could get that conected to the same network... is that possible?

To share a printer, go to the computer that the printer is physically connected to. Go to control pannel then printers and faxes. Then right click on the printer you'd like to share and share that printer.

You may need to be within the same workgroup - in which case you would have to right click on your 'my computer' icon and go to properties. Then set the workgroup to the same name on every machine you want to share files/printers with.

Follow the same steps to share files, just right click a folder and go to sharing and security, then share the file.

Let's start with the Windows desktop and laptop. I'm not a big Mac guy, in fact I try to avoid that department, but I'm sure you can share files with Mac and Windows.

Easiest way to share a printer is to do this, in my opinion. Put the desktop and laptop in the same workgroup. Doesn't matter what, just keep them consistent. I use "home" as my workgroup. If you don't know how to do this, go to my computer, right click on it, go to properties. Then hit the computer name tab. At the bottom, you'll see workgroup. Type home, or whatever you choose. Hit okay, and reboot. Do this to both computers if they're not already in the same workgroup.

Install the printer on the Desktop. Go to start - printers and faxes - right click on your printer, and go to sharing. Hit "share this printer" and name it. Hit okay.

On the laptop, go to start - run. Type \\the.desktop.IP.here. Meaning if the desktop has an IP address of 192.168.1.101, you type in \\192.168.1.101. It'll being up a screen of all of the shared folders and objects on your desktop. Your printer should be there.

Right click. Hit "connect."

Let me know how this works out.

EDIT - Lex beat me to the punch. YaaaaR!

hi there,
I got the two computers hooked up. had a bit of trouble wit norton blocking the access to the desktop form the laptop. i fixed that by turning off the firewall, connecting and turning on the firewall so it creates a rule... there is another problem though... on the laptop i can see and access both computers shared documents and can print off of the printer hooked up to the desktop. however on the desktop i cannot see let alone acces any of the shared files/folders of the laptop or the desktop (under view workgroups computers i see nothing)... any ideas on how to fix this? it seems to be a one way street...

thanks
andrew

p.s. my dad has asked me about remote desktop connection... how does that work? it denies me access to either pc when i type in the ip adresses... is this just another instance of creating a rule in the antivirus?

tried the remote... again more one way traffic, the laptop can control the desktop but not vice versa...

what operating system(s) is installed on the laptop and desktop? xp and xp or xp and vista? OR vista and vista?

it's xp-xp and don't worry about the shared folders, my dad doesn't want 'cross-contamination' between files (since downstairs is full of crap probably a million hidden viruses and my dads laptop is as clean as a whistle). I just need to know how to make an exception on norton on the desktop to let the laptop print with the printer (it will if I disable norton, connect, enable norton then print but I have to do that each time...) any ideas what exceptions to create?

Create an exception in the firewall rule to accept connections from any IP's that your router may give out. So say you didn't change the default settings, your computer's IP is probably 192.168.1.X, where X may change from time to time depending on how many puters are on the network. So allow any connections from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.50.

Ok cool thanks.

Here is a run down of what I did to get it working...
On desktop I ran the network setup wizard and named it desktop and the network name network.
on laptop I had to change from toshiba's wireless software to windows standard one then run the network setup wizard and it would detect i'm on a shared connection (it wouldn't if i was using the toshiba software and then wouldn't finish the wizard) and i name it desktop and the network name network.
thats what got em networked...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom