Network traffic is HIGH. Am i being used.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sCribes

In Runtime
My network topology is clear..or the concept of...as well as other network ideas, but im having a problem with something that i dont know much about.

Last night, and now tonight, i have had major latency issues no matter where i go on the net, and when i try to play like BF2 online, i get pings of 800 and up. I usually ping around 25-30.

Anywho, i have nothing open, as little services running as possible,and nothing showing in task manager, yet i still lag terribly. It was last night, so i just left it, today around noon i played bf2 online for an hour or so, and did some web browsing this evening. I got home about 8, hopped online, and the lag is back.

Netstat shows anywhere from 20 - around 70 tcp and upds open????? I will do a netstat -a in cmd, and get like 70, do it 2 min later get 20, and kinda goes back and forth. The only filesharing program i use is bt, and from what i can tell, its totally disabled at the moment.

Im running norton internet security, and despite what some people may think, it picks up everything, and its not alerting me of anything.

I run several ad ware checking programs weekly, if not daily some times, and have an up to date antivirus.

Im running Windows XP 5.1.2600 Service pack 2 Build 2600

I am behind a netgear prosafe router, with no problems their, as far as i can tell.

Any network gurus have any ideas.

The only thing i can think of, is someone slipped something in, i dont know when or how, and has a BD and is using me as a dump, or a ddos bot, but my system all together isnt really laggin, so that doesnt make much sense. Or that there is something up with my isp, which they deny any work being done, or any problems with the service. I have a 3meg cable connection, and speakeasys speed tests, as well as charter, and toast, all show anywhere from 40ks to 120ks, when i usually hit upper 300's.

Any guesses.

Thanks

Okay what are those entery's post a pic.

Also what kinda router / firewall are you running, and to what rules if that apply's?

netstata.jpg

This is what i get after a fresh reboot, and only loading techist.com.

Shortly after i uploaded the image above, my list was down to 15-20 ports again.

thats one run of netstat -a you see in that picture. I had to splice it together in photoshop because it was obviously to long for one alt+printscrn.

This is really starting to piss me off, it takes me like 10-15 seconds to load this page, when normally it takes 1-2 seconds. Its a huge differance in the world of surfing.

Netgear FR114p is router.

Okay, well the HTTP connections are normal.

But what really worry's me is the last UDP connections. Right now I have the same problem with the UDP connection's as you too, I have never seen this before and I am unsure what to think.

I am also rather new to the networking field, so I am not sure of what to think of everything in that picture. The sheer amount of localhost connection's also seem weird to me as well.

The cable connection isnt split inside the house at all. From outside on the cable jack/box thingy, there are 6 leads running off their converter thing thats mounted on my house, each is dedicated to a tv, and one is dedicated to my pc.

This isnt something that has been here, all this just started 2 days ago.

I have no idea whats going on. Remember, its fine during the day, but later at night, i get the lag and all the open ports.

Thanks for the suggestions guys, i really appreciate it.

Cable connection huh, could just be that Blackbeard the MP3 pirate lives on your street and is sucking up all the bandwidth.

Would make sense really, you may have gotten a few new people on your street with cable internet and now your basically sharing bandwidth. If one or two of them gets home at nite and starts downloadling huge files, that would explain the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom