Network.. stopped working?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrazeD

Fully Optimized
I went to send some files to my dad over the network a bit ago, and noticed that no computers on my network show up in "My Network Places". I thought that was weird, but ah well, I tried to do a search for his computer name, and that didn't come up with anything either. I tried it for all computers on my network...nothin.

I'm connected to a 4-port Linksys wired router, and I'm using on-board ethernet. I have tried a NIC aswell.

I have done the network setup numerous times, to no avail. I figured my Zone Alarm might be causing some trouble, so I temporarily disabled it and that didn't help either. I've rebooted quite a few times aswell.

WTF gives! I have internet an all, but no network.

Have you run the network setup wizard on his machine as well? put them on the same workgroup? and selected the option for file and printer sharing?

FlashDude said:
Have you run the network setup wizard on his machine as well? put them on the same workgroup? and selected the option for file and printer sharing?

Why would I run the network setup wizard on his computer? His is working fine...it's just mine that can't find anyone else. All computers are on the same workgroup. File and printer sharing is on.

If you have win xp SP2 make sure that the windows firewall and zonealarm are both disabled before you try.

kfc469 said:
If you have win xp SP2 make sure that the windows firewall and zonealarm are both disabled before you try.

I do have SP2. Windows Firewall is disabled, Zonealarm is not. However, I tried turning it off and it didn't work. Furthermore, this is a recent problem and it was working fine a while ago.

I'm stumped. :(

Get the IP address of one of the other computers. Go Start - Run - \\IP (i.e. \\192.168.1.101) and see if you can see it that way. If you can, then it's a WINS issue of some sort, but you can map drives/printers via IPs if they're static.

penfold said:
Get the IP address of one of the other computers. Go Start - Run - \\IP (i.e. \\192.168.1.101) and see if you can see it that way. If you can, then it's a WINS issue of some sort, but you can map drives/printers via IPs if they're static.

Just tried that, that didn't work either.

:(

EDIT: I tried accessing my computer from one of the computers on the network, and they couldn't see me either.

I would try completely uninstalling zone alarm, and try it. Then "I" would install kerio personal firewall, Its free and alot less bloated then ZA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom