Network sharing question

Status
Not open for further replies.

CalcProgrammer1

Fully Optimized
So, I have three PC's on the college LAN. My main PC is my desktop which has my 1.5TB hard drive which has files that I'm sharing on the LAN. I'm running a program called "NetShareMonitor" to see if anyone connects to my network shares, mainly just to see what people download.

On my laptop, I have made links to my desktop and my ThinkPad, which are both sharing. So, I put my laptop on my desk and boot it up. Then I close the lid and forget it's on. However, for some reason it keeps accessing my desktop's network shares. It makes a connection every 10 seconds or so, never accesses any files or folders, and then drops the connection. It repeats soon after. Why is my laptop trying to make connections if I didn't open any network folder windows on it, and why is it accessing so often?

It's filling my logfiles up with empty connections and I want to see what is actually downloaded!

I've heard of this program before but never used it. I'm using it now while copying over a movie and actively viewing the log. I'm going to close my laptop that I'm using to access files with and see if I can replicate the same thing.
I have one immediate curiosity that would explain a great deal. Are you using Vista to access files on a XP machine by chance? If not, give the OS types used in your 3 computer setup and especially the ones that are generating the log and the the laptop OS.

EDIT: I walked to the store while the movie was copying over. Laptop was closed for about 20 minutes. After I returned, I only saw evidence of normal logs that indicated the session was terminated after the file was completed. This was a laptop running XP to a desktop running XP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom