Network sharing problem - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Internet > Computer Networking and Internet Hardware
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 05:54 AM   #1 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Send a message via AIM to CrazeD Send a message via MSN to CrazeD
Default Network sharing problem

I'm trying to enable full access to my second PC via network. As it stands, I can only get to the C:\ folder. Doesn't let me into Windows, Program Files, User folders...etc.

Is there a way I can make it do that? I know I can share the folders individually, but then it puts each folder under the work group. Is this the only way?

Both machines running XP (one has SP2, one has SP3), firewalls are off on both, and I am Administrator on both.

I are network noob

Thanks.

Intel Q9400 | Gigabyte EP45-UD3P | G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2 1000 | XFX HD5870

Need website help? PM me!
Old 07-08-2008, 08:12 AM   #2 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Send a message via AIM to Lexluethar
Default Re: Network sharing problem

Can't you just share your C drive? If you share the drive every folder under it will be shared, this way when you look at the PC from the network computer, you will see "C: on CrazeD (CrazeD)."

Are you using another firewall program? I would definately be using some type of firewall. In order to use a firewall and allow network sharing you just need to unblock the IP of your router and any computer under that router. Easiest way is just to allow connections from say 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.50 - covering any possible IP your computer may receive from your router.

Old 07-08-2008, 01:27 PM   #3 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

Default Re: Network sharing problem

Hello,

Lex is right. You have not shared your entire drive. That is why you can not get access to all the folders.

Cheers,
Mak

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

Closed Thread