Network Resets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greencow_555

Baseband Member
Hi,

At my workplace we share two computers accross a network. My boss's computer hosts the internet and mine hosts the printer. The problem is that everytime we restart the main one (my boss's) the connection ceases to work until we take a minute to re-create the two connections from scratch, not to hard but a little annoying.

I fixed it for a short while by following some instructions I found online telling us to be sure that the firewall was only set on the internet connection and not the LAN connection, which it was. As I said, this helped for a short while but then the old problem started again? I checked the firewall and it had not been turned back on, is their some other cause for this or is it unknown?

We are going through a d-link asdl router (dsl-504T)

Many Thanks,

Gaz.

Hi,

Both machines are running windows xp home edition and the modem is connected to one of the pc's. The printer is connected to my machine and both of our machines connect to the router.

Gaz.

it makes sense that your inet connection is being dropped when your boss's pc is shutdown or rebooted. For the network to have inet access, your boss's pc must be turned on and connected to the inet.

The alternative is to connect the modem to the router so it can host the inet connection. The router is an always on device which would eliminate the problems your having. You can leave the configs for the printer the same.

Ok, sorry im not that silly with computers. Please read this line from my original post...

"The problem is that everytime we restart the main one (my boss's) the connection ceases to work "

I'm sorry if I was unclear. I didn't mean it doesn't work while the computer is off, that would be obvious, I mean it ceases to work when we turn it back on. The connection will not connect after a restart, we cannot access each others computers, I can't get on the net and he can't use the printer, the network goes down when we restart his computer and we have to set it up from scratch.

any ideas?

Gaz

I too am still kind of unclear. You said you have the modem plugged to one of the PC's yet both are connected to the router? Just to clear things up..is the DSL modem plugged into a PC via USB cable? Then both of you come out of your NIC's into the router? If thats the case I would agree with csamuels and ditch the USB cable and plug ALL cables into the router. Then it will not matter which PC is on or off except for printing.

Just run a CAT5 cable from the DSL model to the router, remove it from the PC it is attached to and leave the current CAT5 cables on both PC's in place connect to the router. They will all talk to each other and always be on.

Ok, that is all fair and well but printing is the primary problem, forget about the internet for now.

From start to finish, we set the network up for file and printer sharing. It all works ok. Then, we go home when work finishes and turn off the computers. When we come in the next morning and turn them on, file and printer sharing is no longer working. So, we simply recreate the connections on each computer and it works again... until the next day.

When we turn them back on, all the network settings are still in place and the comps still give us the "network cable is unplugged" message if we disattach anything or turn of the router.

Like I said, one web page told us to turn off the firewall for the LAN connection which worked temporarily.

Gaz

Thats odd. Are you both on the same workgroup? That will make a difference as well. Right click the My Computer icon then select properties then computer name. The workgroups should be identical on both machines if not make that change. Also since there both XP home if that doesnt work run the network setup wizard which is located in the in the My network places left pane and follow the instructions then run the samething on the other PC. This would probably be the way to go as the wizard will take care of all the trust issues for you which could be good and bad.

Once you are sure that both of you are on the same network you can fine tune it. Right click on the printer you wish to share and select sharing then Share it and give it a share name. Have the other PC connect to it via the workgroup by typing in this in a run command \\workgrouppc1\hpprinter or simply the \\workgrouppc1 will bring up the station and you will see the printer then double click it to install it.

The PC which houses the printer MUST be on in order for ther othe computer to print to it. If it is off the other PC will not be able to print to it. Does this seem kind of new or are these things you have already done?

No, these are things I have already tried. I am not surprised to find this promel as confusing for others as it was to me, but it doesn't hurt to ask questions does it.

hmmmmm.... the problem has not occured today for the first time in many days.

I will continue to investigate. I have an inclin that it is to do with the router as that is the point where the connection is not getting past.

Thanks for your input guys.

Gaz.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom