Network randomly quits

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's what I was hoping for to happen, so now we can conclude that this is not the ISP faults. Since you are connecting to your router wirelessly I can assume it's dropping connection. Have you gone into your router setting and try and change the frequency channel?

Let me ask again, because I'm a bit confused about your setup. How is your network setup? Are both computer connected to the router wirelessly?

No,

One computer is connected to the router wired.

The other is connected wirelessly.

The internet and network drops on both, even the wired one.

Just to be sure it's not the router, can you directly connect one of the machines to the DSL modem and use the internet maybe for a couple of mintues or so just until the problem occurs again.

If this was the router fault, then you may have to try and use static IP address.

yeah i used my old computer with the dsl with no problems for more than a year. I just got a new computer so I bought the router and adapter and this has been causing the problems.

by the way, i switched the router to 802 g only mode to see if it helps. the connection is strong on the comp with the adapter, but Im gettin the imfamous limited or no connectiviy icon...

I would expect that from the wireless connection, but what I would not expect is the wired connection having that problem and shutting off on you.

For the wireless connection, you can disable WPA and leave the security Open or use WEP. This will ensure compatiblity with your adapter.

I can't understand why the wired connectin would drop. I can only assume the router may be the source of the problem, or you may have a bunch of variable involves like a bad cable or NIC card.

I don't know if disabling DHCP will help, but you can give it a shot and assign the computer IP address and DNS information staticly.

how would I do this? sorry for being a noob

here is a screenshot..what do i do
dlink.jpg

where it says DHCP server on top, select disable. Then assign your computer 192.168.0.2 through 192.168.0.254 it doesn't matter which one you choose as long as it's in that range

Subnet mask would be 255.255.255.0
Default gateway is 192.168.0.1
your DNS (get the information in your WAN tab)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom