Network randomly quits

Status
Not open for further replies.

addnon

Baseband Member
Hi I just got a new computer and I decided to network it with the old one. Specs are:

-XP pro on both computers
-WPA security
-802.11 G
-Router (Dlink DI-624) on old computer
-USB adapter (Dlink wirless G)
-Running network magic on both
-Network is only 1 day old!
-It runs perfectally and fast when it works.

My problem is that the everyone once in a while, the internet gets disconnected and I cant reconnect the network without pressing the reset button on the router. As you can imagine this gets rather annoying. I tried using the repair feature in Network Magic but it doesnt work. The limited or no connectivty icon comes up and restarting the old computer doesnt do anything.

In addition when the internet is disconnected, the two computers are no longer linked locally either.

So far this has happened a total of 3 times in one day, and today I woke up to find the network disconnected :angry: .

What am I doing wrong here? I'm fairly knowledgible in computers, but I have never ran a network before. Please help a network noob.

alright well i suggest setting up a static IPs with your computers. In case you didnt know, static means that your ip never changes on your network. The problem with Dynamic IPs is that they like to reset themselves from time to time. Check out www.portforward.com its got all the answers you need and its realatively straight forward.

No, DHCP is unlikely the cause of that problem. What you do want to check is your wireless adapter. Go to device manager and right click on your wireless adapter. There should be a advanced tab, you should check the features that are there, heres an example from mine.

Ad Hoc Channel (don't worry about this if you see it, basicly it's just for computer to computer communication with wireless)

Intel Throughput Enhancement (Used to increase the transmit throughput by enabling packet bursting, I set this to enable if you have it)

Mixed mode protection(don't worry about this, just leave it as default)

Power Management (set this to highest if possible, it's for maximum performace)

Preamble Mode (you should worry about this, you can leave it as default to automatic detect long or short, or set it as long for longer range or short for performance)

Preferred Band (this is also important, if your adapter support b/g you should leave it alone)

Roaming Aggressiveness (basic improves your signal to the router, set it to the highest)

Transmit Power (improves coverage, set to highest if possible)

Wireless Mode (leave as default, you adapter should support b/g)

You might not have all these feature, but your adapter should be similar or not. Make sure you update your driver.

For the wireless router you can try to change the channel it operates on, from 1 to 11.

I will try this. However, how can an adapter messing up, kill the connection to the net on the main computer with the router?

Also someone said that the problem migth be that the router stops communcating with the dsl modem correctly. This makes sense because when I uplug the power to the router and plug it back in, it works fine.

However, the thing I am worried about is stabily. I have already had two 600mb downloads destroyed (i was 588mb done on one of em!).

*EDIT*
My adapter didnt have all of those setting, barely any infact. I didnt have to change anything..

This happen to some people when the DSL provider changes your IP address your modem picks up the new address but your router doesn't. When you turn the router off and on it request the IP address from the modem and apply the new setting. I have to do this all the time when my connection slows down to a halt. I have cable internet though, same thing happens because they change your address constantly to prevent you from hosting a server. They want you to paid extra for static IP.

Well, you could complain :p

If what I stated was the situation, then the only way is to buy a static address so it wouldn't change, other then that you can't do anything.

There's no point to paid extra just for a static address you probably would never use to host any server.

If you wanted to find out if your address keeps changing daily all you have to do is go to www.whatismyip.com and write down the IP address. When it happens again repeat the process and compare it. You'll have a new address all the time.

NO, like I said if it happens, then record your IP address. You will see it change. If you're router doesn't pick up the new address then something has to be done about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom