Network question?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LFCJohnSmith

In Runtime
I currently have my computer connected directly to my modem, but I want to add a wireless router. The question I have is, can I still connect my PC directly to the modem but then connect my router to the internet connection via my PC if I bought a card for my PC which had more than 1 ethernet port in it? Also if it is possible to do this would I then have to take extra care or change the security settings on my PC or router to stop other PC's and Laptops from being able to look through my C drive and other stuff on my PC?

You could use ICS on your computer to share your connection but, my question is why?

A router will do everything you need much easier.

The reason I want to keep a physical connection to the modem directly instead of having it via a router is because for some reason the router that I have from time to time crashes and then reboots, and it is quite annoying.

Is an ICS the network card that has more than 1 ethernet port on it, and would the security of my PC be compromised by connecting the router to the internet via my PC, and if so how would I change the security settings to prevent files etc. on my pc from being viewable by everyone?

If you're trying to bypass the router for security reasons, enabling the ICS (internet connection sharing) will open you right back up.... So when you DO connect the router and you are in a workgroup environment there are several ways to secure your pc from ALL traffic and queries.

-deactivate Allow incoming echo request (ICMP)
-through GPO you can prevent access to drives on your computer

Disable the guest account, block "Users" access to everything (don't lock yourself out too)

sooo many ways to secure your machine...

What operating system are you running?

So in effect, I can connect my PC directly to my router and then connect the router to my PC via an ethernet connection. I can also prevent other PC's/Laptops that would want to use the internet connection from being able to efectiivley logging on to my PC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom