Network probs with a linksys wag54gs

Status
Not open for further replies.

martin353

Solid State Member
Hi Folks, I have a problem with the above gateway. After it deciding not to work and not being able to get into the webpage set up for the router I decided to reset the gateway with the reset button. This all worked fine and I manually set up the ISP and managed to connect to the Web. Then I decided to set up the wireless security and used WEP 128 encription. Generated a pass key made a note etc and have not been able to access anything since!!! I know what you are thinking and I have put the pass key in and even the encription but its still not working. I have tried to reset the gateway 3 times since and it wont work on either wireless or through a lan cable. When I try to access the set up page through the ip the browser tries to connect then redirects to a msn page, which it cant get to as we r not online at the moment

Running Win xp media centre on a new (ish) puter with all updates on and no spyware etc. ISP is wanadoo and I have the settings lol

HELP!!!!! its driving me mad

Im not a huge Computer Know-It- All but I think I have Had the same problem With My linksys at My house, I think What we did was create a profile and instead of connection through the 'detected' routers we said connect to the profile and it worked, Another thing you might try is uninstall your linksys, remove your linksys router(or wireless) and put it back in and reinstall over, then try again. If it wont uninstall you can try to remove it with HiJackThis and use a cleaner to remove all the files left over, if EVERYTHING doesnt work try and restore your computer, This Is the VERY LAST thing you should do... but I dont know alot about computers so you dont have to listin to me...

im assuming you can connect to the internet with ethernet but not the wireless?
i had the same problem and only managed to fix it this morning. heres what i did:

1) goto ftp://ftp.linksys.com/international/firmware/ and download the latest firmware (should be wag54gs A v1 if you live in eu) latest is V1.00.06, most wag54gs are preloaded with v1.00.02 - this is probably the problem
2) make sure you are connected by ethernet, not wireless. open your browser and goto 192.168.1.1 and login
3) goto the administration tab and then to firmware upgrade
4) select the img file and upgrade firmware
5) after firmware upgrade, go back to the administration page and click factory defaults.
6) reset the router to factory defaults and then set up your connection again throught 192.168.1.1

everything should work now, a few things to make sure of are:
1) both router and wireless card are set to the same encryption ie WEP
2) both router and wireless card are on the same channel
3) both router and wireless card are on the same frequency (i find g is better than a and b)

hope this helps..

I would suggest you reset the router again, plug a computer into the LAN port and do ipconfig /release and ipconfig /renew then ipconfig /all to get the ip address of the default gateway. Use the address of the default gateway to connect to the router.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom