network probs

Status
Not open for further replies.

NIN

In Runtime
I'm working on a network and every computer works except for one. I can ping it I can see shared files from other computers. I can even see previously mapped drives. But I cannot just open the window to see the shares. I go to run and then type, \\hostname and it gives me the username and password box. I enter them in just like I logged into the remote computer. They are the same as the local computer. Then it gives me an access denied.

I don't see a firewall anywhere. Could the firewall in the router cause something like this to happen? the other computers are connected to a swich and the switch goes to the router. Then the problem computer is connected to the router.

xp sp2 turns on the windows firewall by default. you can find the config in control panel or network connection properties.

turn off simple file sharing as well

I'ts not the router, I swaped it out with one of my old ones because it wouldn't allow me to even log into it. Now when I try to log into the shares on this computer from another Windows 2000 machine on the network it gives me the error message of "Network name not found". I can see it in My Network places and can ping it with it's hostname (in this case 'frontdesk'). I made sure the Workstation service was started and not i'm looking for more options. Anybody know what is going on here.

Could IPSec be enabled? if so can I disable it. I havn't worked with IPSec. How do I go about this.

Thanks,
Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom