Network Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

benji1987

Beta member
I have 2 computers, one is on XP, the other on ME. How can i set up a network? I have a RJ-45 cable and have run the XP network Wizard, but they never 'see' each other!! How can i get them to work, it is so the broadband in my room can be shared with my sister in her room and for basic file sharing

Is your cable a cross over cable or a regular straight through cable? The reason for this question is that if you're going to connect the computers directly to each other, they have to be connected by a cross over cable.

Your other option is to pick up a router/switch, and connect both computers to that by straight through cable. I prefer this method, because then both computers don't have to be on for the second computer to be able to access the internet.

This one might be a question of how much time you want to spend on this project. Out of all OS's I've tried networking, WinME is the worst to get working. It was just a heap of steaming **** when they released it.

windows me was fine for networks (providing it didn't crash when you plugged the cable in :p )

I am willing to spend as long as it takes to get it working! I just hope its quick as my sister is starting to bug me!! how can i get it to work? and djr, ME didnt crash when the cable was plugged in

have you tried doing the explicit mapping of a drive on the other computer?

Go into Windows Explorer, under the Tools Menu, click Map Network Drive.

Label the drive whatever you want, and for the folder type
\\computername\folder
of the computer you're trying to access.

Well, the previous comment by me was actually a joke, ubt anyway, I'll try to be helpful this time :) , from your description I would say that the problem was caused by an incorrect cable, if it is a cable going straight from one network card to another it should be a cross X over cable and if it is going through a hub/switch/router it should be a straight through cable.

hope that helps

yeah, make sure about the crossover cable first, and if it still doesn't work, then try my solution from above.

You can do that from both, but the instructions I gave were from XP. I'm not sure if the menu structure for mapping a drive is the same in ME. Its been too long since I've used it.

Make sure both PCs run on one subnet.
Otherways you will never see the other PC.
No matter from wich side you looking.
make PC_1: 192.168.0.1
and PC_2: 192.168.0.2
subnet 255.255.255.0 (both)
Both Statistic IP
Both same workgroup
---
Then us they said run cross over
----
then
ping 192.168.0.1
---