network problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

phake

Baseband Member
im a uni student in the uk, trying to connect my pc to the uni network. we are given standard wires which work for everyone else, and mine is not faulty as it is tested. my ethernet card is also not the problem as it is the 3rd one i have tried.

it works liek this, the port in my room has to be opened, which it has. i have tried my pc in my flatmates port, who has working internet and get the same error.

the problem is that whenever i try to enable the lan connection, i get an error of 'a network cable is unplugged'. the light on the ethernet card is on, and the error flashes, suggesting the pc can detect the card for a split second every couple of seconds.

i went to the it guy on campus, he doesnt know what the problem is, (it expert my ass).

does anyone know a solution, or give me a list of things to try out? thanks in advance.

start->settings->network settings->Go to your LAN right click->properties-> Click configure under where it has your network card name -> Look at the troubleshoot box. Click the troubleshooter box and follow the instructions. Make sure the card is enabled too. (Where it says "use this device - enabled)

If you don't fix it in the troubleshooter, its probably a hardware problem.

Make sure your connections are enabled in your firewalls too.

yep, i have tied the cable, no problems.

and the troubleshooter is useless, ive tried it numerous times.

i googled it, no updates around. ive tried switching the pci cards around, but nothing seems to be working. ive found other threads with people getting this error, but they are all on home networks. im completley stumped

there is a tech guy on campus, but it involves me getting the bus with my pc. but i did that, got there, and there monitors wouldnt work with my system, so i have to take my £400 monitor on the bus as well as my pc :/ i dont really want to do that so im trying everything else first

Just a question, but what kind of monitors do they have that can't work with your computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom