Network Prob Please Help, cant figure out on my own.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jolancer

Daemon Poster
There are 2 main questions here that would help me out a lot if i could find the answer to either....

1) Is the problem located in my computers on-board ethernet adapter, or is the problem located in the router.

2) If the problem conserns my on-board ehernet adapter, Is it definatly hardware or software problem?

Hardware) - linksys router, and a Reltek 10/100 on-board ethernt adapter on a Soyo p4i865pe mobo

PROBLEM) -

-- when i first built this computer just recently, it was working with the linksys router both set to Static.

-- I switched it over to Auto IP though, and used it strait threw the modem.

-- However once i switched it back to the router, it would no longer work when set to a Static IP.

-- It works on Auto IP though..... AND if i set it to 'Obtain IP automaticaly' Coppy down the IP and Stuff that the modem address to the computer..... and then set the computer to 'Static' and input that info manually.... Static will work with the Modem or a DHCP enabled router.... but not with the Static linksys witch i orignally used a couple time in the very recent past???

wow, not your fault but that's very confusing. I'm not sure if this is relevant, but my first thought was perhaps that your MAC address was cached with your computer when you hooked directly into the modem? I couldn't understand if you had gotten the modem to work after it had been directly connected to your pc or not.

Ok.... inlight of the fact that im guessing most people will find it confusing as u did... im going to edit it to make it look as simple as possible....

what i tryed to do was include all nesassary information that i thought may be relavant.. but if you need any info just ask.

sound like a config issue. why are you trying to swap your router and/or modem between static & dynamic addresses? Typically, an ISP will tell you to use one or the other because there's usually a price difference between the two.

So, i guess that you copied your public addresses when set to pull from dhcp (auto config). Don't do this unless you bought a static address from your ISP.

So setup your router or modem to pull your WAN (ISP) addresses automatically. If you're behind a router, you can set your private (home) network with whatever addresses you want. Typically, I set up home networks to pull the addresses automatically from the router just for ease of configuration. But if you feel the need to set them statically, just choose ip addresses from any same subnet. 192.168.0.1-254 is popular home network ip addresses with the network subnet mask set to 255.255.255.0. Then you have to worry about setting the dns servers, which you can set to the addresses that your router has pulled from the ISP dhcp by auto config.

Lots of switching and flipping. Essentially it sounds as though you've set your router to use a static IP which your ISP upstream router probly don't like (some upstream routers will let you assume any IP on the network - read fun nicking other people's data).

Set your router to collect an IP automatically from the WAN - or if you've purchased a static IP set that up on the WAN interface. Set your router up to automatically assign IP addresses on your LAN (internal interface). Then set your PC(s) to automatically retrieve an IP from your router. Plug all those guys in together and off you go. So should be:

[isp router] -- [your router] -- [your PC]

ISP router hands out an IP to your router on the WAN side. Your router hands out an internal IP to your PC on the LAN side. Your PC retrieves an IP from your router on the LAN side.

As I say if your ISP have ne sense they wont allow you to use any old IP address. They should only allow you to use an IP address you have retrieved from a DHCP pool or originally agreed with them. If you forcefully try to use a statically assigned IP address (be it through the router or your PC directly) it's unlikely you'll be able to connect. Though if you can you can have bags of fun

I know how to setup a network.... that is not the problem.

Il try and clearify....

The Linksys router is setup For Static Lan... Wan is still dynamic... I have it set this way because i have other ports forwarded to other comps on the network.

The problem is only with this one new build... all the other computers still work fine on the Static Router.

But what is confusing me is.... This new build also worked on the Static Router when i first put it together.... but then i switched it stait over to the Modem on 'Auto IP' for a time being just to bypas the routers protection and update some programs over the web. But when i switched it back to the Static Router, it no longer worked on static.... connection Timesout.

However if i switch it back to the Modem or a DHCP enabled router... copy down the 'Auto settings' and input them as Static... It will still work on a Dynamic router or the Modem........ Does this mean incompatability problem has only just emurged between this new build and the Linksys??? thats whats confusing me because it worked on it static originally.... even when i reformat to clean install it still wont work with the Static Linksys? but it did in the recent Past?

Can you provide us with the model and number of the modem and router. Right now all I can think of is try and use another port on the router beside the one you are trying to use for that PC.

The port and ethernet cord that i use for this new build is the same one i use on my computer... i switch the cord between the two depending on witch i need to use....

my comp always works with the static router, but the new build doesnt, however it use to.... The new build works if i hook it up the a different router or the Modem with is DHCP enabled.

If you think knowing the model #s makes a difference let me know. But remember The new build net adaper works on DHCP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom