Network Printer - XP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jayce

Fully Optimized
I can't believe how frustrating this is. I've done this before. It's easy. Yet I can't get anywhere.

I've got a Lexmark 2500 series. There are 3 Desktops. The Dell is the main desktop where the printer is.

Before, all I did was I installed the printer on all 3 computers. Then, on the Dell, I shared the printer. On the two client desktops, I set it as default. Bam. Done. Perfect.

How do I go about doing this? I don't understand what I'm doing wrong. I've googled for network printers but all I find are TCP/IP guides, which I DON'T want. I have no open ports on my router, so I need to do it THROUGH the actual Dell computer. How do I do this?

you have to add a network place with the other computers that you want to be printing from. Make sure that you select yes, allow file and printer sharing. Then when you goto print, you select find printer, then over a network and you should see you printer there. Thats how i did it anyway. You dont need to instal the printer drivers on more than 1 pc.

So do I go to the other two desktops and add a network place? When I do that, I have very limited options and I'm not sure what to do from there. The only thing that would make sense is to put in the workgroup/share name, which is \\MSHOME\Lexmark, and that fires back invalid path.

I only have 2 computers, so I cant guarantee that it will work for 3, but just goto start > my computer > at the side of my computer window there is an option for network places (click that) Then click add network place. Complete that wizard on ALL computers, then computers must be restarted. Also make sure you click allow sharing of files and printers.

Do you have XP home or pro?

Try going to \\dellcomputername\ and press enter.
You should see all shared items in that window (on pro). If you have home, you should go through the shared network setup wizard, then share out the printer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom