Network printer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackzubi

Solid State Member
Hi all, I'm new in here and I'd like to get some help.

I have a direct connexion between 2 pc's via network cable (crossed).
3 months ago I was able to print from my station and suddenly it was impossible only if I connect the other compter using RDC (which printer is connected to) and then I can print. I installed and uninstalled the network printer, but unsuccesfully didn't work. I tried everything I know & don't know. When going to the printer properties I see "Error Printing". I'd have to delete the job and then RDC and print, etc...
In brief, I'd like to get back to that point that I was able to print from my station using that network printer.

I hope I was enough clear to people to understand my problem so they could help me easily. Any help of any kind will be welcome.

ThanX in advance,
Blackzubi

How exactly is the printer attached? USB or parallel port?

So the computer that has the printer attached to it can print? Then that should be a good sign that the printer is working properly.

Since this printer is shared, I suggest checking the share permission.

Also need some more information. What Windows OS? If XP (I assumed because of RDC) which one is Pro and which one is Home, or both Pro?

Hi, Law

Both have XP Pro and the printer is shared and work properly 'coz 3 months ago I could print with, until the day I had to print using RDC. It is USB attached. I just cannot print from my station even doe I can see the printer installed on my PC as a network printer. Maybe it is the home network configuration? 'coz it's configured this way (only 3 stations: me, one of my collegue and laser machines I'm connected to via another station). we all use Realtek 10/100 adapter and cables are crossed since I must have 2 adapters to connect to 2 Pc's. Hope those infos will help you to help me!
Thanx for your help, really appreciate.

Blackzubi

Hi, Law

Both have XP Pro and the printer is shared and work properly 'coz 3 months ago I could print with, until the day I had to print using RDC. It is USB attached. I just cannot print from my station even doe I can see the printer installed on my PC as a network printer. Maybe it is the home network configuration? 'coz it's configured this way (only 3 stations: me, one of my collegue and laser machines I'm connected to via another station). we all use Realtek 10/100 adapter and cables are crossed since I must have 2 adapters to connect to 2 Pc's. Hope those infos will help you to help me!
Thanx for your help, really appreciate.

Blackzubi

huh? you should only use 1 crossover cable. do you printer have a network port? do you have a 3rd party firewall?

Seems like your connection to the remote computer is OK since you can RDC.

I would like to have you check on some few things.
First, on both computers go to control panel>administrative tools>computer management. Select Local users and groups>users. Make sure the Guest account is enable, it should not be mark with a red x.

Second, on the computer with the USB printer attached to it. Go to control panel>administrative tools>local security policy>local policies>user rights assignment. Make sure the setting "Deny access to this computer from the network" does not have the Guest or Everyone in it. Make sure the setting "Access this computer from the network" has the Everyone group in it.

Third, still on the computer with the USB printer attached, go to control panel>printers and faxes. Right click on the printer, select Properties. Select the security tab. Make sure Everyone is listed there with the permission Print check to Allow.

Hey, I haven't been here for a while.

ThanX for your advices but didn't find what you told me to do: right click->properties>security, all the the settings in the computer admin tool were corrects, what's wrong?
I still can't print directly from my pc only by RDC

Please help!!, it's so embarassing.

Blackzubi

To be able to see the security tab, you have to disable simple file sharing. To disable simple file sharing go to Control Panel>Folder Options. Click the view tab, scroll down and uncheck "Use Simple File Sharing", then you should be able to do that step.

huh? you should only use 1 crossover cable. do you printer have a network port? do you have a 3rd party firewall?

I guess that my help isn't needed even though i'm good at troubleshooting these kinds of problems. my post was totally ignored

Hey EricB,

U don't have to think your post was ignored, it simply didn't helped, 'coz that was not the solution, see what i explained in my first or second post. I actually use 2 crossover cable coz i have 2 adapters and i'm still enable to print from my station. I'll be happy, really, if you could help me with this issue.
I didn't want to be a bad guy because i didn't pay attention to your posts... anyway, sorry if you've been hurt by that and really appreciate you tried to help!!!

Blackzubi

Hey EricB,

U don't have to think your post was ignored, it simply didn't helped, 'coz that was not the solution, see what i explained in my first or second post. I actually use 2 crossover cable coz i have 2 adapters and i'm still enable to print from my station. I'll be happy, really, if you could help me with this issue.
I didn't want to be a bad guy because i didn't pay attention to your posts... anyway, sorry if you've been hurt by that and really appreciate you tried to help!!!

Blackzubi

you should draw a diagram of your setup. I was also asking if your had a network card on your printer because you can run it though a hub and
have direct access to it without a certain computer having to be on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom