Network ping packet loss

Status
Not open for further replies.

kenkam

Beta member
Hi all,

My friend has been getting a strange problem recently on his computer. His network is being temperamental. He is running Windows XP SP1. His computer chipset is the nForce 3. Recently we bought a DLink router and we thought we'd connect up @ 100Mbps (his max speed is 1Gbps). I connected mine up (my chipset is Bridgecom B44) and started pinging the router (192.168.0.1) and I get 100% response. His computer connects up but fails to get an IP via the router's DHCP. When we hard assign an IP to it (statically) we tried to ping the router (192.168.0.1) and he gets 100% response (from the router) BUT when he pings my computer (192.168.0.100) he gets intermittent packet losses - there would be a period of time where all the packets responds for about a minute but then packet loss for another minute...and it keeps oscillating. When I ping his computer (192.168.0.101) I get a 100% response. I am sure that I have taken down all my firewalls, but there is always the possibility that I may have overlooked something.

However, when we do a crossover linkup, we both get 100% response from pinging each other's machine.

Is this a hardware problem or software problem, have any of you experienced this before?

have you tried a different port on the router, or a different cable? sounds like a bad contact to me... Just a thought...

Half Solved Problem

The problem was due to some spyware corrupting his TCP/IP protocol in windows. When we reinstalled TCP/IP the problem seemed to have disappeared, but came back after 20 minutes or so. This makes me think that it's some resident virus killing his tcp/ip. It works fine in ubuntu linux.

Re: Half Solved Problem

kenkam said:
The problem was due to some spyware corrupting his TCP/IP protocol in windows. When we reinstalled TCP/IP the problem seemed to have disappeared, but came back after 20 minutes or so. This makes me think that it's some resident virus killing his tcp/ip. It works fine in ubuntu linux.

Maybe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom