Network Misbehaving

Thorax_the_Impaler

Minecraft Veteran
Hello everyone!

I'll do my best to keep this short. My roommates recently purchased a new wireless router, and ever since I've noticed a significant improvement in my Internet connection speeds, at least when I actually have a working connection. This pertains to two machines I have online, each with their own connection.

Here's my problem with my main machine: My computer claims there is another system on the network that is conflicting with my system because they are both trying to claim a specific address local to the router. When I disconnect and reconnect or anything like that, I receive connection (ping packets actually get a response) for about thirty seconds and then I get nothing. I've manually changed my IP address to working but absurd values many times to try and avoid any and all conflicts but none of them that I have tried produce a conneciton I can actually use. The weird thing is, ping packets get a response and quickly, but no browser on my system can pull up a webpage. Not even Google. Additionally, after a certain number of tries/tweaks the computer sticks with the original address (at least if I let it) and I get stable connection. This is getting very annoying because each time I deal with the problem it just gets worse upon my next reboot. Does anyone know how I could fix this or troubleshoot further?

As for the second machine: The problem is about the same. A poor internet connection. Streaming of any kind is absolutely impossible (the video cuts up so badly you cannot view it on the lowest quality sites like Youtube offer), and the connection is all around laggy and mostly unusable. I've tried multiple different wireless adapters, and they all worked so that is not the issue. I've changed IP addresses manually, and done pretty much everything I did to the first machine. And I still do not get any usable connection. Not even when nobody but that machine is online. Does anybody have any advice on what to do about that?

My theory is that my roommates (since they have the router and I have no access to it) changed settings to broadcast a network I can use seperate from theirs with their connections incoming and outgoing prioritized over mine. I'm not 100% sure that's possible but I'd be pretty surprised if it wasn't. That would explain why they do not show up on the network. At all. Also, it would explain how their systems load things faster than I can blink and mine not being able to have a usable connection until 30 minutes of tinkering go by, and sometimes not even then. Just a theory, since I'm at a total loss.

Thanks in advance to any and all answers! I always appreciate them.

Have you tried to "obtain ip automatically"? You really should not have to set a static ip. If you have a static ip in the range handed out by the router, then you will have a conflict.

Do they perhaps have a modem with dhcp server capabilities that could be conflicting with the new dhcp router?

Can you ask the roommates to let you see how the router is set up?

What is the ip of the router? what ip range are you trying to use?

Hello everyone!

I'll do my best to keep this short. My roommates recently purchased a new wireless router, and ever since I've noticed a significant improvement in my Internet connection speeds, at least when I actually have a working connection. This pertains to two machines I have online, each with their own connection.

Here's my problem with my main machine: My computer claims there is another system on the network that is conflicting with my system because they are both trying to claim a specific address local to the router. When I disconnect and reconnect or anything like that, I receive connection (ping packets actually get a response) for about thirty seconds and then I get nothing. I've manually changed my IP address to working but absurd values many times to try and avoid any and all conflicts but none of them that I have tried produce a conneciton I can actually use. The weird thing is, ping packets get a response and quickly, but no browser on my system can pull up a webpage. Not even Google. Additionally, after a certain number of tries/tweaks the computer sticks with the original address (at least if I let it) and I get stable connection. This is getting very annoying because each time I deal with the problem it just gets worse upon my next reboot. Does anyone know how I could fix this or troubleshoot further?

As for the second machine: The problem is about the same. A poor internet connection. Streaming of any kind is absolutely impossible (the video cuts up so badly you cannot view it on the lowest quality sites like Youtube offer), and the connection is all around laggy and mostly unusable. I've tried multiple different wireless adapters, and they all worked so that is not the issue. I've changed IP addresses manually, and done pretty much everything I did to the first machine. And I still do not get any usable connection. Not even when nobody but that machine is online. Does anybody have any advice on what to do about that?

My theory is that my roommates (since they have the router and I have no access to it) changed settings to broadcast a network I can use seperate from theirs with their connections incoming and outgoing prioritized over mine. I'm not 100% sure that's possible but I'd be pretty surprised if it wasn't. That would explain why they do not show up on the network. At all. Also, it would explain how their systems load things faster than I can blink and mine not being able to have a usable connection until 30 minutes of tinkering go by, and sometimes not even then. Just a theory, since I'm at a total loss.

Thanks in advance to any and all answers! I always appreciate them.
Get into their webgui. I doubt seriously they have a router capable of advanced QoS that can dedicate bandwidth to one section over the other. Sounds like they may have put you on the guest wifi that has a limited connection (speed) range.

When you connect, tell us what speed it connects. You can either view the status of the adapter or view it through task manager.

Have you tried to "obtain ip automatically"? You really should not have to set a static ip. If you have a static ip in the range handed out by the router, then you will have a conflict.

Do they perhaps have a modem with dhcp server capabilities that could be conflicting with the new dhcp router?

Can you ask the roommates to let you see how the router is set up?

What is the ip of the router? what ip range are you trying to use?

Yes I have tried that, and that's when I get the conflict. The address I am assigned is always the same, and that's when I get error messages pertaining to an address "conflict". No other device I own has a problem. They all receive a slow connection, but it's a working one with a unique address. My desktops are the only computers that have any connectivity issues. I tried setting static IPs in the hope I could grab a connection. I did, but I couldn't pull up any webpages.

I seriously doubt it. One of my roommates is a fellow computer enthusiast who, as much as I hate to admit it, knows what he's doing. I don't think that's something that would slip by him, and even if it was, my connection is the only one that is affected. His works just fine.

Ha, I wish. When they kicked me off the network they stole my router, did a hard factory reset and then setup the network so I couldn't get into it. They flat up told me they don't want me having access to the thing because I'm a "threat" to their better interests in this regard. Don't ask, because I have no idea what they meant by that.

The IP address of the router is the standard 192.168.1.1, and all the devices that connect use an address similar to 192.168.1.x with the last number being the defining factor. I have set values that I KNOW are unused, like 12, 20, 25, 50, just to name a few. I have also tried absurd ones like 156, 200, etc. I was never able to get a working connection; at least not for webpages.

Get into their webgui. I doubt seriously they have a router capable of advanced QoS that can dedicate bandwidth to one section over the other. Sounds like they may have put you on the guest wifi that has a limited connection (speed) range.

When you connect, tell us what speed it connects. You can either view the status of the adapter or view it through task manager.

Can't, they locked me out and everything is airtight. Like I said the guy I live with knows how set that stuff and like myself makes a point to.

To be honest I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if the router was capable of that. They dumped a lot of money into this router, I was there when they purchased it. We went two hours out of town to buy a specific one that apparently wasn't sold anywhere closer. I'm positive they created two networks, put me on the guest and hid the SSID of theirs. I scan the network from time to time and it never picks them up; but before this new router got in here it always did.

Upon connection I receive a reading of 150mbps which quickly drops between 1.0mbps and 6.5mbps and never goes any higher. Depending on the reliability of the connection the number will occasionally hit 13 or 20, but will never saty there for more than a couple seconds.

Last edited:
OK. Roommate wars.

It is entirely possible they have a dual band or channel router.

Can you just talk with them. They should be able to fix it for you.

Do you pay for the internet? If so they should provide you with a speed equivalent to the portion you pay for the bill. If not, you are at their mercy.

Is it feasible to run a second line into the house and pay for your own internet?

If all else fails, your are Thorax_the_Impaler, so start impaling. :)

OK. Roommate wars.

It is entirely possible they have a dual band or channel router.

Can you just talk with them. They should be able to fix it for you.

Do you pay for the internet? If so they should provide you with a speed equivalent to the portion you pay for the bill. If not, you are at their mercy.

Is it feasible to run a second line into the house and pay for your own internet?

If all else fails, your are Thorax_the_Impaler, so start impaling. :)

Nah, they wouldn't fix it but yes I do pay and I am at their mercy unfortunately. :/ At any rate I plan to get a different form of Internet for myself, perhaps DSL.

And yes, impaling is my specialty. lol :cool:

Is the account in your name?

If you pay, either they fix it or you stop paying. Quite simple.

Although roommate relations can be tricky at best. Use your best judgement.

Is the account in your name?

If you pay, either they fix it or you stop paying. Quite simple.

Although roommate relations can be tricky at best. Use your best judgement.

No it's not in their name either, and the man whose name it is in has been trying to switch it to them, but they're just avoiding the subject.

Yeah they can be but I won't be under the same roof as them forever. And I shall thank you.

No it's not in their name either, and the man whose name it is in has been trying to switch it to them, but they're just avoiding the subject.

Yeah they can be but I won't be under the same roof as them forever. And I shall thank you.

Take initiative and offer to get it switched over to your name from the guy that currently has it ;) before they get it changed to their names. Then you can manage it yourself.

Yes I have tried that, and that's when I get the conflict. The address I am assigned is always the same, and that's when I get error messages pertaining to an address "conflict". No other device I own has a problem. They all receive a slow connection, but it's a working one with a unique address. My desktops are the only computers that have any connectivity issues. I tried setting static IPs in the hope I could grab a connection. I did, but I couldn't pull up any webpages.

I seriously doubt it. One of my roommates is a fellow computer enthusiast who, as much as I hate to admit it, knows what he's doing. I don't think that's something that would slip by him, and even if it was, my connection is the only one that is affected. His works just fine.

Ha, I wish. When they kicked me off the network they stole my router, did a hard factory reset and then setup the network so I couldn't get into it. They flat up told me they don't want me having access to the thing because I'm a "threat" to their better interests in this regard. Don't ask, because I have no idea what they meant by that.

The IP address of the router is the standard 192.168.1.1, and all the devices that connect use an address similar to 192.168.1.x with the last number being the defining factor. I have set values that I KNOW are unused, like 12, 20, 25, 50, just to name a few. I have also tried absurd ones like 156, 200, etc. I was never able to get a working connection; at least not for webpages.

Can't, they locked me out and everything is airtight. Like I said the guy I live with knows how set that stuff and like myself makes a point to.

To be honest I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if the router was capable of that. They dumped a lot of money into this router, I was there when they purchased it. We went two hours out of town to buy a specific one that apparently wasn't sold anywhere closer. I'm positive they created two networks, put me on the guest and hid the SSID of theirs. I scan the network from time to time and it never picks them up; but before this new router got in here it always did.

Upon connection I receive a reading of 150mbps which quickly drops between 1.0mbps and 6.5mbps and never goes any higher. Depending on the reliability of the connection the number will occasionally hit 13 or 20, but will never saty there for more than a couple seconds.
Your performance issue is there. Sounds like you are either on a channel with interference or have range issues.

As to air tight, nothing is air tight. Router security is 100% ****. Since you live in their house, walk up to it and reset it then reset all the options yourself LOL.
I have a 150 dollar router myself and I do not have the QoS options I referred to and it's barely a year old. Since you were there, you should know the model number. I can tell you quickly whether or not the router has the abilities mentioned.

They could have bought 5Ghz devices and are limiting the speed of the 2.4GHz side for you. IE, limiting connection speeds to less than G speeds. Since you are connecting at 150 then I'm going to assume no. Might just be a simple interference or range issue.

Take initiative and offer to get it switched over to your name from the guy that currently has it ;) before they get it changed to their names. Then you can manage it yourself.
This. **** them cunts. If I paid for any part of that internet I would be getting into fist fights over them trying to limit me. That's just BS. Their computers would be ****ed as would any of their other wireless devices. I don't play games and it's your money so you shouldn't either.

Back
Top Bottom