Network LAN problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jamie83

Solid State Member
I have two computers. I have a NIC on each. I have connected them together using an ethernet cable (CAT5 Crossover). When I turn the second computer on, the LAN comes on in my main computer. However that is is. I cannot see my second computer, it cannot see me, i cannot even to ipconfig on it, it just says Windows IP configuration.

Can anyone help me is establishing this connection?

Thanks,

J

You can leave it to automatically obtain an IP address and make sure they are in the same workgroup.

Open up command prompt and do nbtstat -R on both computer.

Do you have an active internet connection on either of these computers?
If you just have the two computers connected to each other then is one of the computers giving out IP addresses?

I know that I'm asking irrelevent questions.....but, to answer your question, your network connection is disabled. Sounds like someone is playing with you :) Open up your network connections in the control panel and reenable it by right-clicking on the appropriate connection and then clicking "Enable".

With newer NICs, you'll find that you will still receive an active or link light between two connections even when one of the connections is disabled. It's just trying to point out that the physical link is good :)

But, by default, if your connection is "Availbale" but just "Disabled" then it will shoot back a "Windows IP Configuration" with no address.....not even a 0.0.0.0, because logically, that's impossible. Ok, I'm rambling now.

In short, Re-enable your network connection :) :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom