Network help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wigdean

Solid State Member
I'm looking at buying a broadband router for my uncle. He has 2 PC's and wants them both on his NTL broadband. I have a couple of questions that you might be able to answer for me.

I've read up as much as I can but I don't understand if I need a hub too? Could I just buy the router and plug everything in and expect it to work?

What cables run from the actual router to the PC's? Is it just normal crossover cables like I have for my network?

At the moment with my network, the master PC has to be on so I can use the internet on the second PC. With a router does the master PC have to be on for the 2nd one to work?

What are the benefits of using a router compared to my set up of 2 network cards and a crossover cable?

And finally (I think) is this router any good, or is it expensive?
here

Thanks.

If you have a router, you do not need a hub and with a router, the master PC does not need to be turned on in order for the second one to use the internet.

D-Link is a good company; I have a D-Lind wireless at home and it works great. I don't know how much that is in dollars so I cant say if its a good deal or not.

As Aye29 says, you have to have the master PC turned on to let the second PC access the Internet. Most of the commonly available Routers have aditional ports built (a switch, if you must) into them which will allow you to hook up multiple PC's. For under a hundred bucks you can get a top-notch consumer quality router. You can choose between a standard one or one with wireless capability built in. For example, DLink makes some units with wireless capability but they also have four ports to hardwire upto four devices in.

A common Linksys router like the Linksys BEFSR41 will allow you to hook upto four PC's in and will provide some limited firewall-like capabilitites (Network Address Transalation).

-Target

Dont't get a Belkin... although it's doing it's job fine for me, I just can't say I have a Linksys.. or a D-Link, and it's very sad.:rolleyes:

The belkin is a POS, the Netgears are rock solid with 4 port routers, so are Netgear and Linksys. I have had a couple of problems with D-Link.

They are very easy to setup and be on your way.

I use DLink wirless with a Linksys router and Netgear switches. They love each other too.

Umm, the Belkin.... actually, isn't a "POS", but its pretty close, it just depends on if you know how to use it correctly. Which is why I still recommend Linksys or D-Link (I use the wireless Belkin) I just need stupid Belkin ppl to come out with a firmware upgrade for the 802.11b, which if I had gotten a G then I would be fine since they already have a firmware update for that.

You won't need a crossover cable between your computer & the router. Crossover cable is only for like devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom