Network hardware question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kharn

Lord Techie,
Ok this is the situation, I have a Cable internet connection hooked up to a wireless router and i also have wired ports on the back of it attached to one port is a length of cat5 that is hooked up to my desktop. I also have a D-Link DSL-g604t router (adsl) an I was wondering can i hook that up to the length of cat5 an use that as a switch to attach another computer.

What do you think?

Thanks, are you sure it will work though as the main router is cable an the other is a ADSL router?

Yes, since you're just using the ADSL router as a switch and access point, and not to directly gain Internet access from, but rather to gain access to your cable router.

The ADSL router is connected to your cable router, which itself is connected to your cable modem providing you with Internet access on all computers connected to all your routers.

Just as a matter of curiosity why are you putting another router in line on your network? Are you just out of ports on the first one?

Well it's a lack of space to run a cable without drilling holes an running the cable through the attic. The kick board was taken off the wall in the room that my cable router lives in at the moment and i took the opportunity to run a cat5 in behind it then under a little bit of carpet an then into my room where I am not botherd about cable being on show.

Gotcha. Well, should be no problem sticking that router on the end of the cable and letting it function only as a switch. Make sure DHCP is disabled on it and just plug everything into switch section and not the WAN port.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom