Network File Management and Policy Solutions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
allenc said:
Bah sorry typo, I meant WSS (Windows SharePoint Services).

lol, I guess it really is Friday and I wanna go home.

<rant> You should fire you IT guy and get a new one. It is amazing how your the project manager and you have to come here to get advice on how to implement a better solution for you company!! This market is crawling with over qualified people to be dealing with that! </rant>

Here is the Link to the whitepaper

Look at the file on the right hand side. After reading this you should have a better understanding of the software...

After you fire your IT guy, make a thread over here asking for local members resumes ;)

-Adam

Well I'm not really firing anyone, but I'm supposed to light fires under people and get these projects moving along. The IT group is familiar with WSS but its just running on a little dinky box in the server room. They don't know DFS or other similar applications. There is just so much stuff out there these days its damn near impossible to keep up with it all unless you have a large IS group with people splitting up the knowledge load.

Yes,it is hard to keep up.All you can do is make sure your IT department tries to keep up with the newest technology that is cumming out.A lot of companies have training classes for new stuff cumming out or training to use the applications that the company uses..

DOD ... department of defense? Are you saying I shouldn't fire the IT guys, I should kill them instead? Oh my lol!!

As far as I know, aside from all the universally known and highly regarded DoD certification standards used by federal and public businesses alike, known of by all respected admins, there are no DoD certifications that require you to kill your IT staff.

So no, I'm not saying you should kill your IT staff. :mad:

DoD 5015 is for records managment.
DoD 6055 is for fire-fighters.
DoD 5200 is for IT security.
etc

Then there's all the ISO standards, which would be even better if you don't have experience with DoD certs.

My point is, there's standards for these kinds of things, and they would be good guidlines if you're changing your systems/behaviors now.

allenc said:
Well I'm not really firing anyone, but I'm supposed to light fires under people and get these projects moving along. The IT group is familiar with WSS but its just running on a little dinky box in the server room. They don't know DFS or other similar applications. There is just so much stuff out there these days its damn near impossible to keep up with it all unless you have a large IS group with people splitting up the knowledge load.

Sorry, from your earlier post
I also found out the my IS guy has a MSS server sitting in the closet just running. I wondering if you guys have any documentation that can explain a bit how to use it. The IS guys don't really know here
..... it seemed as if the box was doing nothing at all and no one knew what the hell to do.

Unless you hold many hats at your place of work, I think as a PM you should research what is needed, then put it on their plates and say "get it done". If they don't know how to do it, then get someone who can.

"firing them" is a bit harsh, if they do what there supposed too, etc.. then fine... but getting a consultant that will bill you 120 and hours for 16 hours is not bad considering that he/she will revamp your n/w and get it where it is supposed to be.

-Adam

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom