Network failover?

nolacop I think you are trying to shoot toothpicks with a .45 gun.

If you are on cable service, and it goes down in a storm, then you can darn well better that Version, ATT, Sprint, and all the rest wil be going down shortly.

Also, using one of those aircards does not have the data thuput to support that bid of network.

So you aren't routing through the server? If not then you will have to install RRAS and configure it for one of the physical NICs, that NIC will have to plug into the switch that is feeding all of the other clients.

Air cards are roughly 50 bucks a month give or take. With about that much money you could have another provider install another secondary line that would provide backup. It would be it's own modem and when internet is out you could just plug that new modem into the switch. Unless you are in a residential zoned building you can usually get multiple ISP providers.

I get between 20-40 mgbs on my LTE card. I only get 15-20 on my land line connection. Why won't it handle the network?

nolacop I think you are trying to shoot toothpicks with a .45 gun.

If you are on cable service, and it goes down in a storm, then you can darn well better that Version, ATT, Sprint, and all the rest wil be going down shortly.

Also, using one of those aircards does not have the data thuput to support that bid of network.

Cox goes down if a utility pole gets blown over, and if you know anything about New Orleans, those are always the first to go. After Katrina, Verizon and all the cell companies really beefed up all of the towers to make them a lot more resistant to high winds. They also installed backup generators at every cell tower and installed redundant network systems to handle the traffic if a tower does go down. So as a backup option I was using an air card for storms as well as if Cox internet goes out for another reason at any time of year (which happens several times a year). Even if the air card won't handle 50 clients and 6 servers, I will be able to at least run three or four desktops and my DC. Even if its a bit slower thats ok.

Okay - so install RRAS on the DC and a wifi card. Then you would have to setup a system where if internet isn't accessible it enables the wifi on the DC, once connected the DC enables RRAS which would then connect to the switch that has all of your clients. Keeping in mind you would need to run DHCP on the DC.

The problem is you HAVE to get that DC and clients to communicate otherwise DNS / AD / ect won't work and you'll have a worthless network. In order for that to work i believe you would need to get the DC connected to wifi, THEN have the DC parse that traffic to the clients through the switch. Unless there is a device that the aircard can plug into that would automatically work like a switch.

Okay - so install RRAS on the DC and a wifi card. Then you would have to setup a system where if internet isn't accessible it enables the wifi on the DC, once connected the DC enables RRAS which would then connect to the switch that has all of your clients. Keeping in mind you would need to run DHCP on the DC.

The problem is you HAVE to get that DC and clients to communicate otherwise DNS / AD / ect won't work and you'll have a worthless network. In order for that to work i believe you would need to get the DC connected to wifi, THEN have the DC parse that traffic to the clients through the switch. Unless there is a device that the aircard can plug into that would automatically work like a switch.

There is, its called a cradlepoint router. It would act as a failover modem. It will automatically detect loss of internet and then connect by either a built in cellular data or usb air card. I was trying to save the $500 or so and do it manually, which doesn't seem to be possible for what I want to do without a whole lot of programming and additional software.

Agreed man, you could do it with a series of scripts, schedule tasks and added roles on your DC but sounds like in order to have 'piece of mind' you will have to purchase this device.

If these financial decisions are out of your control just give it to mgmt and document their decision so it doesn't fall back on you if it does fail.

Back
Top Bottom