Network failover?

NOLACop

Baseband Member
I run a small network of about 6 servers and about 50 client machines. Each server has a dedicated function and one is a domain/ DHCP/ DNS server. I have a Cox internet connection of 25 down and 5 up.

I want to create an internet failover connection.

I know of the cradlepoint router redundant failover protection but I was wondering if there was a way to get the same thing by just installing an LTE aircard on the domain controller?

You wouldn't have to install the air card, just a wireless adapter (PCI / USB).

2008 R2 you can enable wifi. So i would enable it and connect to the aircard for your main internet.

Once configured disable wifi on the DC.

As a failover process create a rule that when internet is not accessible for say 3 minutes an email is sent to the admins letting them know, then a script is run on the DC to disable the local nic and enable wifi on the DC. Considering you've already configured the wifi profile once enabled the DC should automatically connect to the aircard.

Once you can confirm that internet is back up, you can then disable wifi and enable the local nic.

My DC is Server 2003 and the Aircard is a Verizon USB card, not WiFi. I want to have the card plugged into the server and in the event of a wired internet connection loss, have the aircard LTE connection become the network internet connection.

I guess this would depend on if there are drivers for that aircard for server 2003. There may not be. If there is a driver use the same process outlined above.

Ok I kind of get it now. One more question, right now my Cox modem feeds to a switch, from there it goes out to the servers and clients via patch panels. If the Aircard is plugged directly into the DC, will that connection back feed out to all the other servers and clients?

yes and access to their network shared files, vpn access from outside the LAN. Basically have everything appear as if the primary Cox data connection never went down.

yes and access to their network shared files, vpn access from outside the LAN. Basically have everything appear as if the primary Cox data connection never went down.

Then you need to get a secondary internet line from a different provider.

I have that via the Verizon LTE air card. I was wanting to install it directly into one of my servers and avoid buying a Cradlepoint router. Being in a hurricane zone, the hard wired internet will almost certainly go down, therefore the LTE aircard would be the backup connection.

An air card will not be able to support 50 client machines and 6 servers accessing the internet. It will lightly be able to handle 1 PC.

Back
Top Bottom