network / DSL problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

souschef

Baseband Member
I recently got DSL. It is working fine on my first computer, but when I tried to hook up a second PC it will not work. Now I belive the problem is narrowed down to the 2nd PC.

Steps I've taken,

DSL works on first PC with or without it going thou my router.

DSL does not work on second PC with or without router.

Switched Ethernet cards from PC to PC they both work.

I cannot get the two computers to network. When I tried to repair network, on the 2nd PC, connection it says "cannot complete repair, IP address cannot be refreshed". Also it will not let me delete this network connection, even if it is disabled.

And here is where it gets worse. I figure I'll run a windows repair it does not recconize the CD. It tells me it is unformatted "RAW". I checked the cd in the other PC and it works. I also put a windows 98 CD in the problem PC and it works fine (bangs head on desk).

I don't really know where to go from here please help.
I'm running XP pro on both PCs

I don't think reinstalling windows will help you here, it's more than likely something else. If you have a router then use it. So you have the network setup in this way?

modem --> router --> 2 different pc's connected to router via ethernet

Are both computers running windows xp pro? When your network is setup in accordance with my very crude "diagram" can you ping each pc back and forth? Are they on the same workgroup? Can you ping anything from the second pc? This is through a wired connection correct? Do you have an extra ethernet card you can pop in the second pc to see if that's the problem? What does ipconfig give you?

Both ethernet cards work in the first PC, so they should be ok.

When I run the network wizard both PCs are set to MSHOME.

modem --> router --> 2 different pc's connected to router via ethernet. This is correct.

The second PC will not ping the router.

It is a wired connection.

I don't understand why the second PC can not access the router. If I type in the router's address it tries to connect to the internet, which fails then it displays a saved page of the router menu from when It was connected to it before.

I'll have to run ipconfig when I get home and post the results.

Both PCs are on XP pro.

Try an ipconfig /renew on the 2nd PC.It sounds like its not picking up an IP. Is this a brand new router?

I've had the router over 2 years, I don't think anything is wrong with it since the first PC will connect to the net thou it.

I'm not sure where to run ipconfig /renew, isn't this the same as repairing the connection?

Yes it is but it works better than repairing it, but I am going somewhere with this.Open run from the start menu and type in cmd, then type ipconfig /renew in there.

I dont think your router is broken.

I'm thinking it will fail, so go to the working comp and do the same but just type in ipconfig and post the resuts.

Bruce said:
Open run from the start menu and type in cmd, then type ipconfig /renew in there.

I will try this when I get home tonight and post results.
I should type, "ipconfig /renew" verbatim?

Yes

I'm thinking your router is out of IP's so if you wanna skip all the troubleshooting hassle just access the router page and reset the router, dont reset to factory defaults, just reset.There should be two options in there.

I reset the router, I could only find an option to reset to factory settings so I did. That did not seem to help.

After typing ipconfig /renew at the command prompt I received the following error:

An error occurred while renewing interface local area connection 4. An operation was attempted on something that is not a socket.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom