Network behavior with Bandwidth Manager

Status
Not open for further replies.

shankar_hn

Beta member
I have a situation as described below:

We have a common RF link from our premises eight port switch to ISP. One port from the switch goes to the guest billing server and another goes to the adminsitration use LAN consisting of eight computers, one of which is affected by a mass mailing worm.

The ISP has a bandwidth manager that limits adminsitration network access to 64 kbps, based on public IP, out of a total of 1024 kbps available to the main link.

As one of the PCs is is infected with a mass mailing worm, will the ISP 1024 kbps link get choked by the mass mailing worm activity or not, as the administration network access is limited to only 64 kbps?

Request the forum experts to clarify. If you are not clear about my question and want to clarify you can email me on shankar_hn@convergentindia.com

From what this sounds like...
It depends on the worm... have you guys fixed that issue yet ?
Yall need to clear that out.

Anyways, Its all depending on the traffic of your mailing sever and the particular worm you have.

If you have a lightload day on that server you will be fine...
If you have a really active worm you will see server activivity sky rocket.

Are you on exchange ?

Another thing you can do is :

During your heavyload time, give the ISP a call and ask what you are running at.

They should be able to tell you exactly what you are using and when it started to get heavy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom