Network Bandwith Reugulator

Status
Not open for further replies.

rakoom2002

Baseband Member
Ill try and explain this as best as possible but I dont know all the technical terms, so please bare with me/

I have a cable modem that is hooked into a wireless linksys router. I am upstairs connected to the router wirelessly, and my roommate is downstairs connected to the router wired. I have to do this set up for location purposes. Its my router, and he doesn't know much about networking. Is there a program I can download that will let me allocate like a certain percentage of bandwidth to him and whatyever t is he uses the internet for? I want him to be only aloud like 30 or 40 percent of the bandwidth, because at night he streams videos from netflix and it slows the internet down so much its unusable. Id rather do it without him know to avoid conflict.

You should really just talk with your roomate. I believe illegally downloading a program onto his computer without him knowing will probably cause a lot more problems for you once he finds out what is wrong with his computer.

There are certain routers out there w/ bandwidth allocation, my suggestion would be to purchase one with this feature. This way you don't have to hack onto his computer and install something.

Log onto the router, I forgot what you had to go into, but I noticed on my brothers linsys router he could program which port would allow what speed... As long as you program all the physical ports on the router to go at a really low speed such as 512kb up/down he will be able to browse the web and play his games still, but wont be able to stream as much as he is... You may also want to change the channel of your router so that other routers arent interfearing with yours...

I wasnt asking to hack, I was asking something like charles was saying, via the router.

Log onto the router, I forgot what you had to go into, but I noticed on my brothers linsys router he could program which port would allow what speed... As long as you program all the physical ports on the router to go at a really low speed such as 512kb up/down he will be able to browse the web and play his games still, but wont be able to stream as much as he is... You may also want to change the channel of your router so that other routers arent interfearing with yours...

anyone know how to do this with a linksys router a WRT54G

My brother has a 54g and it contains qos... I just cant remember how to get to it, then again, it could have a newer firmware than the one you was using paton.

Yha, it was 2 or 3 yrs ago...... I switched to the GL and never went back.

The link i pasted, if the address of my gl's QoS, so hopefully it'll work.

Don't ask how to use it though as I don't use it... Had to filter the connection when its only me using it..

Install DD-WRT on it and it will definitely have QoS. Pretty much every model of the WRT54G supports at least some version of DD-WRT and it adds a ton of configuration options that the default firmware doesn't have.

I might have a solution to your problem without installing any additional software on any computers or routers. Just go into the linksys router via its local network address, for example 192.168.1.1 is the default for most linksys routers, and type it into your browser, a username and password will be required, and go in the QOS tab on your router after logging in, then you should beable to limit bandwidth between you and your brothers computer by changing whatever settings apply. I hope this helped ;l

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom