Network architecture with 2 routers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Echo Kilo

Baseband Member
I have a router (#1) doing dhcp behind another router (#2) doing dhcp.

If I have a computer on router #1, can I send a print job to a network printer behind router #2 ?

The first touter is a Linksys WRT54G Wireless Router and the second one is the Netgear RT314 (DSL and Cable Internet Gateway Router). I can't tell if the Netgear will just act as a hub/switch, but maybe others know.

Thanks!

Echo Kilo

why are you running dhcp on both routers? Are you working with two different networks? If so, you'll need to add a static route on router1 to router2's network.

otherwise disable dhcp on one router. make sure both routers have their addresses on the same network.

Can I turn off DHCP on the Netgear? I couldn't figure out how to do that.

So if I leave DHCP on both, I'll need to add a static route on the #1 ? How do I do that?

Read the manual or google the model there should be something indicating how to setup a routing table.

The DHCP setting can be changed on the Netgear device by logging into the gateway/router with your user/password and click on LAN IP Setup. There is an option bit for "Use Router as DHCP Server".

why are you using two routers? these routers (based on market value and targeted customer) are for home use. how many computers do you need?! and if you have too many computers and not enough network connections you should get a small hub or switch and not be using a gateway/router for a swich

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom