Network adapter problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

thienhoang21

Solid State Member
Hi, I just bought a new HP Pavillion a520n computer on Sunday along with a Linksys Wireless - B USB Network Adapter WUSB11. My problem is that when I hook up my adapter to my Pavillion, it connects to the router but not the internet. I tried the adapter on my laptop and it works fine. I've tried calling Linksys technical support and we tried pinging Yahoo.com and Google.com which comes back with "Request Timed Out". After continuous tries at that, the tech supporter suggested that I go to the main computer and change the Channel from 4 to 11 which still does not work. I have no current firewalls currently running on that system and I have no clue why I cannot connect to the internet. My internet connection is Cable.

Please post some help and suggestions.
Thanks in advance.

I don't think that that is the problem. I can connect to the router but not the internet. I tried the same adapter on my laptop and it works fine.

thienhoang21,

When you use the wireless card on your PC, you said you communicate with your router. If you try to connect to the router via its IP address, can you sign into the Router to see its settings?

If so, is your router configured with your cable modem IPS's logon credentials?

You might not have a third party firewall installed but Windows XP has a built in firewall that you might have to disable during the troubleshooting process.

Let us know how things go, also.... welcome to Tech Forums!

I tried connecting to the router via its IP Address but the 'Connect and Work Offline' window just pops up.

I've already checked the Windows XP Firewall and it's disabled.

Some isps need your router configured for PPPOE. Check to see if your isp needs anything special put in those settings.

thienhoang21 said:
I tried connecting to the router via its IP Address but the 'Connect and Work Offline' window just pops up.

I've already checked the Windows XP Firewall and it's disabled.

Ok, I recommend you physically connect your computer to the router via an ethernet cable, connecting to the router and make sure it is setup properly.

Once you are sure the router is setup properly, try the wireless card. It should find the connection automatically and connect to your wireless network. (Assuming you have Windows XP)

Ok, still does not work..

Anyone have any ideas to why it is not working? It's a brand new computer so all the settings and such should be fine right? Is there any settings and such do I need to configure? If so, please reply.

OK!! I have an update.

I booted up my computer in 'Safe Mode with Networking' and here I am on the internet typing this. My only problem is that I have to log into Administrator to be able to get on the internet. If I log into my other account then I'm not able to. So I'm thinking it has something to do with the User Accounts? I don't klnow, I am going to try and figure all this out. In the mean time, if anyone knows what is going on then drop a reply. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom