Netwerking using crossover cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

A_Zip1

In Runtime
Yeah ok well i have my main computer which is win2k3 server, i have 2 network cards on thier, one for internet one for connecting to my other computer and i have another computer with one network card that i connect to the second netwerk card on the main computer. so yeah i set up the "internet sharing" thing on my first connection connected to the net, and i enabled both connections, but when i do i cant connect to the other computer OR the internet!!, but when i disable my second card that connects to the other computer and "repair" my internet connection, i can connect to the computer but when i enable my second card connecting to my other computer, it shuts down again... any ideas whats going on guys?

Ohh yeah and my main computer is running windows2k3 and my other one is running win 98.

ok just erase everything i just said from ur memory... lol sorry guys.... but yeah ok well now i have it all set up, and i can ping each computer, but i cant connect my second computer to the internet, i installed the client thing i needed on it, and set up the internet connection to connect throught the lan and it wont work. any helps guys?

you need to setup the proxy on the computer that has internet connection. Then the second computer can get online thru the proxy.

haha yeah, thats what my friend told me, but im not quite sure how to do that... is thier any walkthrougs for it??.. or can u tell me the basis of it and ill figure out the rest..

Feastures like ISA and NAT are already built in to Win2k3 Server. I'm sure Microsoft has many many articles on how to setup a web proxy and how to configure the client to "autodiscover" the server.
Usually I would refer you to a program like WinProxy....but this can get a little expensive......and Win2k3 has it all built right in.
Also....not sure if this is a legit copy or not...but if by a wild shot, it is...then you should have plenty on support from MS....if not then the articles on the site should be enough.
Articles 816320....331062 and 324264 should do it!

-Mike

hmm i found the ICS thing built into win2k3 but thats about it, but yeah i dunno i can see all the files im sharing on my win2k3 computer when im on my win98 computer and my win98 computer gets the internet when im running the proxy on my win2k3 machine, but yeah i cant see the files on my win98 computer when im on my win2k3 computer, i cant even find the network neighberhood... but yeah the computer name is "A_Zip1" that i wanna connect to, so i thought u jus whent " //A_Zip1/"
and then it should connect???... but yeah is the netwerk neighberhood thing hidden on win2k3 or what??

haa yeah i know, i just put it down here wrong, but yeah i dunno its called "My Network Places" - thats what i was lookin for - but yeah ok i can ping my other computer from my win2k3 computer and all that but for sum reason i cant connect to the shared folders on the other computer, and i can connect to the shared folders on this computer from my win 98 computer?... when i do a search on the network, all the win2k3 machine picks up is itself. What could be the problem?

lol....I figured that...
Ok, what happens when you type in \\A_zip1\"whatever sharename"?

okk yeah so the C drive is being shared under "Andrews C" so yeah i type in \\A_Zip1\Andrews C and.... its saiz "Windows Cannot find "\\A_Zip1\Andrews C". check the spelling and try again......" .. so yeah and i double checked on my other computer to make sure it was sharing the file and that that was the computer name and all that.... and i thought meybe my win98 was FAT32 and meybe that was why, but nope its running NTFS like my win2k3 comp... so i dunno?... any more suggesting?.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom