NETOPIA 3347W router

Status
Not open for further replies.

jacven

Solid State Member
we use a NETOPIA 3347W router connected to 4 computers with 4 different ip addresses, what we need to know is how specify only the IP I want to connect to the router like reestricting the access to it thanks

Not sure what you're wanting to accomplish - if you simply want to restrict access to the router, use a secure username / password. If you want to restrict Internet access, I imagine the routher has a scheduler to allow/restrict access to the Internet.

I have a win2k server connected to a router, this gives my server an IP: 64.x.x.x and my real server IP is 192.x.x.x

At the server we installed Windows Terminal Services and we are able to access from the Internet.

Our worry is that the server is exposed to hacker attacks, it currently does not have a software firewall, however I checked the router admin panel and it has some firewall settings but I dont understand....

So, but is the best practice for protecting our server? does Win2k Server has its own protection or something like that?

Thanks a lot,
Jac

3347W ADSL Smart Modem
The Netopia 3347W is an 802.11b ADSL wireless gateway designed for residential and SOHO applications. The 3347W combines a built-in ADSL modem along with a Wi-Fi certified 802.11b wireless LAN and a four-port 10/100 Ethernet switch. The 3347W delivers unparalleled wireless coverage and superior broadband performance.

Sounds like you've got a decent router / firewall. Here's what I suggest:

Internet -> 3347 -> Internal Network.

Curious about your security? http://scan.sygate.com/

hi thx for the list, ok i made it and found:

1. determined server IP address
2. gathered information about: OS, browser, was unable to determine computers' name
3. found 2 services running: webserver and SMTP mail service.

Now, is this good or bad?

THank you.

1. IP address is published everytime you do anything on the Internet.

2. This happens to everyone.

3. That's definitely not good -- if you don't need either a email or webserver - uninstall Information Internet Services (IIS).

Ok thanks for reply, ok then I will uninstall these 2 services because we don't really use them.

We really need more security, what do you suggest besides uninstalling email and web services?

VPN for instance? Thanks for your time.

VPN is only useful for remote user access (Home access to corporate network).

I strongly suggest the following: patch every system (windowsupdate.microsoft.com), run anti-virus (AVG Soft), run a personal firewall (ZoneAlarm), use a strong password on every machine, and run anti-spyware (Lavasoft Adaware, SpyBot).

I am assuming you're running wireless?

Let me know if you have any further questions.

hi, we access the server from 2 countries, no, for the moment we're not using wireless. The server is only accessed by 3 clients (2 win2k pro and 1 winxp Pro)

because of the remote access we thought about VPN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom