Netgear router configurations

Status
Not open for further replies.

jason006

Solid State Member
I have a netgear wgr614 (g router) and a wg511 (g notebook adapter). It works fine as far as in surfing the net and using AIM; however, I cannot play Counter-Strike on it anymore. The server lists no longer load. I could still play it if its plugged directly into the ethernet port. I tried using the wireless card with my friend's linksys router and it works. I contacted netgear and the said to open up the ports. I'm not too familiar with port forwarding/trigger so I'm not too sure how to do it. Can anyone tell me what is the start and end ports for counterstrike, or how to get the game working wirelessly? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

No Problem....So you are using a Netgear, eh?
Ok, So log into the router by typing in the IP address of the router in Internet Exploder (oh, I meant Explorer). After you log in. Goto the Port Forwarding Tab or Virtual Server Tab and type in your local IP address of the computer that you want to forward to and then enter in the port numbers. I know that this is assuming a lot but see how far you can get and if you have any problems, PM me and I'll walk you though it....

-Mike

mike, your pm is full right now. btw..i dont know what to put for start and end ports. also, why is it necessary to do this for the netgear but my friend didnt have to do it for the linksys?

If you are only using one port then the start and ending should be the same.
As for the different routers...different manus use differnt technologies. They all follow 802 standards (as addressed *sigh*) but simply put, it's totally different hardware. Some Firewall/Nat controls are passed easily. Take the SMC Barracade for example, I have been using this router recently but havn't been able to use this router in a combination with another router for a while without going into the router's flash iteself and re-programming it. Anywho.....Some network packets will pass some router's authentication process (which may be very light) Hence, Cisco's recent "Linksys" buy, and some other router's won't...hence your current situation. You cannot treat every router the same.....

-Mike

maybe it would be easier if i got a linksys one instead. i did the port forwarding but it still doesn't work. this is what i put: service name: halflife start port: 27015 end port: 27015 server ip address: 192.168.0.2 is there anything else that needs to be done? also, should i do port forwarding or triggering? btw...what is your opinion on the netgear products?

Port forwarding is what you want. This seems right. I personally use Netgear, Linksys, SMC, Cisco, and a couple others but these are the main ones that I use. If you place the IP address 192.168.0.2 in the DMZ just while you are gaming....sdoes this help?

-Mike

I personally think it's the game. I play Battlefield:1942 and Battlefield:Vietnam through 2 ..... oh, now 3 routers....one Cisco and the rest are netgear. I do this in order to stage computers at my house.....long story....anywho, I'm able to play and get a list of servers and even host my own games through the Netgear by itself. Wired and Wireless....doesn't matter. I'm using a Netgear MR814v2.

-Mike

man...it could be the game. i enabled port forwarding, disabled spi firewall, and set it as a dmz server but it still doesn't work. the strange thing is that it works once in a while. its not consistent. most of the time i'm not able to get a list of servers. i can't quit figure out why.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom