Netgear DG834 IP Address changing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poe1974

Solid State Member
This one has got me scratching my head a lot now. Now I'm not too good when it comes to routers and gateways etc so could you possibly reply to me in laymans terms lol :p

This is the problem:

I download a lot of torrent files using Utorrent but since getting rid of my wired modem after being given a Netgear DG834 router and a Buffalo Airstation WHR-G54S I have a minor problem.

Since I started downloading torrents using this new setup, I cant seem to get a very high upload speed and the light at the bottom of the screen on Utorrent never goes to green, just yellow saying I'm probably stuck behind a firewall etc.

I have been on Port forward.com to try and resolve this but this is where the problem starts.

Port forward states that to forward my Utorrent port I need to setup a static ip address and explains in simple terms how to do it.

Fine, I do all this and go to enter the ip it gives me into the Netgear, 192.168.11.136. I press enter and it says "invalid ip".

So i do all the cmd, ipconfig business and get all the ip addresses etc and work out that the problem is this:

The Buffalo Airstation ip is 192.168.11.1
My PC ip is 192.168.11.2
The Netgear ip is 192.168.0.1

I read somewhere that I need to change the ip of the netgear but I am obviously in to deep with this one as I thought that if I just go into the Netgear browser and change the ip it would just work but it just stops it all working and I havent got a scooby doo how to do this.

So, I would be so grateful if somebody could help me on this as it has got me totally stumped.

BTW Sorry for the essay but I didnt know how to explain what I was trying to achieve and the reasons why I want to change the ip of the Netgear.
I just dont like the thought of downloading torrent files and not sharing back.

Many Thanks in advance.

Andy :confused:

Askl the person who gave you the router how you can connect to the router and it web interface. Like my router is 192.168.0.1 is wha ti connect to and i use that to port forward my stuff for torrents.

Askl the person who gave you the router how you can connect to the router and it web interface. Like my router is 192.168.0.1 is wha ti connect to and i use that to port forward my stuff for torrents.

I know how to port forward the router and go into the web interface but even if I forward the ports it still has ridiculously slow upload speeds. PortForward says I need to set up a static ip on the router but I dont know how.

Give your computer a static IP address. When I set up port forwarding it would only forward for specific IP addresses so I gave my PC a static address and then it worked. Try resetting the router to default factory settings. Then after a power cycle and reboot, type ipconfig /all into a command prompt. The default gateway is the address of your router. Put that into your web browser and go into the settings of the router and make the changes you need to make. And write all this stuff down as you do it so if you have problems in the future you have a reference.

You don't NEED a static IP address. In fact, having a static IP assigned by your computer could just make things worse, since then the router all of a sudden does not know that IP is being used, and could assign it to another computer.

What you should set up if you really want to go the route of static IP, is a static DHCP on the router. Meaning whenever your computer requests the same IP address, it will always get the same one.

When looking at your problem however, the first thing I'm noticing, is that all of the devices are not on the same subnet. In fact, it looks as though you've still got the DCHP enabled on the Buffalo Airstation. That's bad, because you'd need to set up port forwarding twice. Once on the Air station, and once on the DG834.

I'd suggest making things a lot easier on yourself by fixing that.

Step one, would be to disable the DHCP on the Buffalo Airstation, and give it an IP (both local and WAN)on the same subnet as your Netgear DG834 router.
My suggestion would be 192.168.0.2

Set the Airstation's default gateway to 192.168.0.1, and the primary DNS to the same.
You'll probably have to restart the Airstation at that point, and won't be able to reconnect to it until you renew your IP address.
Also, at this point, you should unplug the router from the airstation's WAN or Internet port, and plug it into one of the remaining ports on the back.

Once that is all said and done, you should get be in a lot better of a position to set up port forwarding for your computer, as you will be pulling an IP from your router, and not your airstation.

If any of this sounds complicated, just let me know. I'll see if I can clear it up at all.

I'm about to give it a try now Lorithad. Will let you know how I get on. Thanks for the reply and thanks for the advice everyone.

What you should set up if you really want to go the route of static IP, is a static DHCP on the router. Meaning whenever your computer requests the same IP address, it will always get the same one.

Step one, would be to disable the DHCP on the Buffalo Airstation, and give it an IP (both local and WAN)on the same subnet as your Netgear DG834 router.
My suggestion would be 192.168.0.2

Set the Airstation's default gateway to 192.168.0.1, and the primary DNS to the same.
You'll probably have to restart the Airstation at that point, and won't be able to reconnect to it until you renew your IP address.
Also, at this point, you should unplug the router from the airstation's WAN or Internet port, and plug it into one of the remaining ports on the back.

I have tried to change the ip of the airstation and I was successful with the wan but it wouldnt let me do it in the lan settings. Then I just couldnt connect to the airstation at all even though the internet was working fine still !!

Could you please explain it step by step ? I understand what your saying but I just dont seem to be able to do it.

Sorry about this !!! :(

Alright, if you've changed the IP WAN IP of the airstation, and can no longer connect, there's a good chance you changed the IP of the LAN as well.
In order to connect again, you'd need to go to the new address you put in, which should be 192.168.0.2 if you followed my suggestion from before.

It would help me immensly if I knew the exact model of the airstation, because then I could download it's manual and provide sep by step instruction on how to set it up.

But, right now i'm going to assume you've got the WHR-G545.
If you cannot connect to the router by trying to access 192.168.0.2, then you will need to reset the airstation to its factory defaults via the reset (or sometimes called "Init") button on the bottom of the unit. Push and hold the button for around 30 seconds.

After releasing, wait a little bit, then try to connect to the airstation the way you did before.
When you're doing this, i'm going to assume you're plugged into the airstation with an ethernet cable.
Once you log in, make sure to go into advanced mode.
Click Wan config > Wan port. This should bring up the "WAN ethernet settings page"
Change "Method of aquiring address" to Static IP address.
Set the IP to 192.168.0.2
Subnet mask:255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.186.0.1
Primary DNS: 192.168.0.1
Click Apply. You should still be able to connec to the air station at this point, though the internet probably will not work.

Next, click Lan config > Lan port. This will bring up the "Lan side ethernet settings page".

Here, change the airstations IP to 192.168.0.2
Leave the subnet mask as 255.255.255.0
Uncheck Enable DHCP.
Click apply.

At this point, you will be unable to reconnect to the airstation until you plug port 1-4 of the airstation into port 1-4 of the netgear router.
Then you need to renew your computers IP address.
This should give your computer a 192.186.0.XXX address, which is what you want.

Now you can just set up port forwarding on the netgear router, and forget about the airstation.
Hopefully that gets it working for you.

I will give it another try Lorithad yet i'm pretty sure thats what i did before but I couldnt connect to the airstation or the internet once I had done it. Maybe I missed something.
BTW the model is the Airstation WHR-G54S. Have been on the Buffalo website but could not find Airstations on the support list.

Thanks again

Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom