Net Speed = x_x

Status
Not open for further replies.

MindoverMaster

Golden Master
First of all, if this in the wrong section, please move. This seemed as best place of any.

Here's the Line-Up:

Internet: AT&T 768 Kbps down 384 Kbps up - $20/month

^This is the fastest we can get, DSL-wise. Our location is too far away from the office. We used to be up to 1.5Mbps ($25/month) When they changed their hardware, we could no longer run at that speed. Around December 09, we got god to earth speeds. An ATT tech came over, and ran some diagnostics, went to the office where it connects, came back, and told us the same.

Now, since U-verse is available in our area, I got the thinking, why not switch? It uses a type of Fiber Optics, called VDSL. It uses Viber Optics in place of copper lines.

This explains better than I can say: What Is VDSL?

So, now we can get 6Mbps for $40 (7.8 times faster) or 12Mbps for only $45 (15.6 times faster)

I think this is the best move. Along with bundles, which I knew how phone/TV worked, will save us installation fees.

I would be willing to pay half of the bill. I'm living at home and unemployed atm, but I get money every month through SSI, so I'm not broke.

I'm going to talk about it to my parents, once Tax season is over...

I do not play any online games atm, but I do download quite a bit on my server during the night ;)

Any suggestions, all?

Save your money and live with longer d/ls.

The average use won'gt exceedc 786 d/l very often, and you don't game, so why double your bill for questionable activities, when living off the gov't.

paton, go to school for proper spelling. :lol:

Anyway, I forgot to mention...

We have several computers in this house. See in my sig. Master, Butler (server), as well as my mother's and father's (not listed). When we get 4 computers going, it drags so slow. No juice in it. At times, I like watch videos online, like on youtube, they take forever to load.

Also, with our Cable TV, we have like 70 Channels, analog cable. No Cable box. With this bundle, we can save a bundle :p

Edit: I should get a job in the next few months. The above will be irrelevant.

Listen to Lee Majors. Better, Stronger, Faster.

SixMillionDollarMan1.jpg

We have the technology.

Really? :lol:

Edit: OH *SWEARS*! That's why it has been so slow. Spybot came up with nothing, Comodo AV/FW detected nothing, Ccleaner found some stuff, but was still slow. So I ran HijackThis, and i looked at the log, there's all these Internet Explorer stuff. I took off IE on 7's "Program and Features". After restart, WHOA! This thing is FAST! (compared to what i have been experiencing)

I fully agree with paton on this. You dont have the job now. So dont sit there and think "Well i should have one in a couple of months". That is not guaranteed. So dont bet with money you dont have yet.

Live with the slow speed until you know for sure you have the job and can pay for it.

Live without watching youTube videos for a bit. It wont kill ya. If there are 4 PC's on at once, just dont get on it at that time. It wont kill ya not to sit in front of the monitor at that time.

Having faster net is not that important. Not to the extent you are talking. You can live without some activities to keep the plan you have. The choice is yours, but when you dont have a job and are living of SSI, i dont see a reason to pay more to get faster net when it is not a necessity.

That is a bit difficult, Mak.

You see, I'm physically disabled. I also started having small seizures since July of last year. I do not wish to explain this any further than is already said.

I went to a Tech College, got my 2-year Associate's Degree, and looked EVERYWHERE for a job in the Computer repair/service sector. I applied to several companies, even had some interviews. You know some businesses, even though they SAY they don't discriminate against all that crap, but they DO.

As I said about getting a job in a few months, I am going through an agency to help me. Even in these hard times, it's almost a guarantee.

Even if we do up to this, I could easily pay half. That's only ~$65/month. I get a lot more than that per month off SSI.

Of course, it is my choice, as you said. I will consider in all that you said and respect all your opinions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom