Need wireless router suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trotter

Grandfather of Techist, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff member
OK, here's the deal.

I am about to buy my daughter a notebook. It is a Turion-based one, and it has "54g™ 802.11b/g WLANwith 125HSM/SpeedBooster Support". I am using DSL, and my current computer is using a CAT cable to connect to the modem.

What I am looking for is a decent wireless router that will still give me decent wired performance. Price is definately an issue, so I need the best bang for the buck.

So, what are some good routers to look at? I need brands and models, and NewEgg is good for me.

i would get a 5 port hub(very cheap on ebay) and a wireless G acess point, that would be your best and cheapest. my access point needs a password to get into it so thats a plus.

Thanks for the responses.

The Linksys looks good.

How would two pieces of hardware be a plus in this situation?

simplicity, the hub doesnt need to be configured and the access point is already done for you. if you have a modem from your isp, make sure you configure that first.

iam_not_2fast4u said:
simplicity, the hub doesnt need to be configured and the access point is already done for you. if you have a modem from your isp, make sure you configure that first.

A true modem does not need to be configured, it is only a converter. However some DSL company's ship out modems that do routing too (Bad idea IMO)

Hub's are antique technolagy, why the **** do you people still say get a hub? Switches are cheaper and faster.

Linksys WRT54G

Best bet would be a WRT54G.

Make sure to upgrade the firmware and disable the secure easy setup button to prevent future networking problems.

I install 20 - 30 a month and Linksys is all we use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom