Need a router for cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

quixotic115

In Runtime
Hi there I just ordered cable internet from Earthlink and I found out that you have to pay for wireless access! (I never had to pay for it with DSL). Someone told me that I can just buy my own router and set up a wireless network for free. I just wanted to know what kind of router I should use (a cheap reliable one would be good). I was looking at this router and wondering if it would work with my internet.

Newegg.com - LINKSYS WRT54GL IEEE 802.3/3u, IEEE 802.11b/g Wireless-G Broadband Router - Retail

Absolutely. You can buy your own router. Paying more for wireless is something you should never have to do. That router is just fine and will do the trick.

Do I need to install the router when the technicians come or can I swap the router the company gives me anytime I want (i.e. the technicians come on friday, install it and I get my own router next week and I want to switch it). Or do I have to give the router I bought to the technicians for them to install?

That I think depends on what they plan on doing. I know that the modem usually has to be set up them, but I think you can actually request them to not install a router.

Alternatively, you can just swap what they install for what you have. You will however have to configure the new router; instructions should be included with the new router.

You should be able to swap it. The wrt54gl is the best router for home use.

I would personally dis-agree.... lol.

I would have to think that when they said you have to pay extra for wireless, it was likely that they would provide their own wireless router for you, which yes, will cost you more money. Your best bet though is just to get your own router. Heck, if you can, I would pick up my own modem too. I am on DSL right now, but when I was on cable, I bought my own modem to save on the $5/month modem 'rental' fee from the ISP.... lol.

Also, good call with D-Link. At this point, their networking hardware is my personal favorite. I use a D-Link WBR-2300 rotuer at home, and also have a DNS-323 NAS box on my network.

While I like my Netgear WGT624v3, I now really want the Linksys WRT54GL...I've seen awesome looking firmware mods for the Linksys ones that add $600 worth of features to a basic router...and let you increase the wireless antenna power...wish someone would make something like that for the Netgears! But if hacking isn't your priority, any off-the-shelf wireless router (54g is normal these days, wireless-n is new, faster stuff, but more expensive, wireless-b is old and slow, don't get it) should work just fine.

And yeah, buy your own modem too (Charter would sell or rent the Motorola Surfboard modem to you, but we ended up buying a Linksys cable modem instead, works great).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom