Need a router but know nothing about them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattd

Baseband Member
I would like to buy a wireless router off ebay but have no idea what to look for. Can someone give me some tips on what to look for when buying a wireless router. Thanks

I would recommend joining a company such as BT or AOL if your a newby, lots of companys are offering low prices at the moment, on the connection rate.
They also chuck in a free router, and get someone to come round and fix it all up for you.

You can go wireless on three different speeds. For example im on dial up as my laptop is nearlly dead lol, so my only allows a dial up connection speed, but obviously there are loadsa different broadband speeds.

Shop around, each companywill tell you what makes them special, and while they're telling you, you'll pick up the information that you need to no. You don't have to commit to a company to find out what they;re on about!!!

When buying a wireless router, you will want to make sure that the router and hosts are using matching standards, and have the same wireless security standards.

802.11a - operates at 5.0 Ghz
802.11b - operates at 2.4 Ghz
802.11g - operates at 2.4 Ghz

If you are buying a router from ebay, I would caution you to make sure to are getting one that is NEW IN BOX... don't bother with a used router, as you never know what you will get, and there is generally no warrenty on it.

LA1 said:
First routers are cheap, you do not know what you are getting from ebay, unless that is your only option. Try newegg.com. You can get new probably for less then ebay price, like this
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ption=wireless+routers&Submit=ENE&N=0&Ntk=all

plus they deliver fast also pick up some ram too if you want while you are there.

I decided to buy one from this site, but there is one problem. There are 5 pages of routers and I don't know which one to buy. I don't want to spend over $60 on a router so could you suggest a couple for me? There is one for 49.99 with a $50.00 rebate, I like that one but it seems too good to be true. Can someone help me out with is. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom