Need new wireless router

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrazeD

Fully Optimized
I'm buying a laptop soon and am buying a wireless router to go with it.

The router I have now is a piece of **** DLink. If I do any thing demanding at all it will freak out and go slow as ****, or reboot.

So... my expectations:

-Not ridiculously expensive. Under $100 USD if possible.
-MUST be able to handle a heavy load.
-Wireless a/b/g/n of course. Dual band isn't a neccessity.
-Perferabally 1000M LAN, but not a neccessity.

Go.

Sorry you have not had good luck with dlink. I have one of their gaming routers and it does everything you want just great. They are a bit more expensive and not really worth the extra cost.

so from dlink:
Newegg.com - D-Link DIR-655 IEEE 802.3/3u, IEEE 802.11g, IEEE802.11n Draft 2 Xtreme N Gigabit Wireless Router - Wireless Routers

Linksys is the other brand to consider but I prefer the dlinks from my experience.

IMO gigabyte lan is a must as I move a lot of data around my wired lan. You could save a bit by not getting it:

Newegg.com - D-Link DIR-625 IEEE 802.3/3u, IEEE 802.11b/g, IEEE802.11n Draft RangeBooster N Router - Wireless Routers

I don't have anything against DLink. My router is a cheap crappy model is all.

I was looking at the Linksys WRT54GL. It has outstanding credibility on Newegg, and I know its a pretty widely known router. What I like most is that the comments say it can handle heavy loads no problem. I looked at the DLink DIR655, DIR628, and DIR625 and they all said that it choked up during heavy use.

The only downfall is that it doesn't support Wireless N, but I guess after some research it doesn't really make that much difference.

And gigabit LAN would indeed be pretty nice but realistically, only two PC's in my house even have gigabit lan NIC's so it wouldn't do much good anyway.

N will only help you when transferring files on you network. If the computers are just for internet use g will be sufficient.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom