Need to make file/Print sharing network

Status
Not open for further replies.

homer105

Baseband Member
Hi
My dad's work computer is in his office connected to a LinkSys router. My Computer is connected to this router and we share the INternet. I want to make a File/Print sharing network so we can print of each others printers and share files. I have WIndows VIsta Ultimate and he has Windows XP Professional. How would I do this?

Thanks very much

Are they local printers like USB/parallel attached or are they network printers that connects to your home router?.

Local printers can be easily share using Windows XP file sharing feature. You can use the Add Printer Wizard for easy setup. You can go here for Vista http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/e3faee7d-a7cd-40aa-b240-006dca11dc451033.mspx

Make sure both computers are on the same workgroup in order for Windows file sharing to work properly.

One of the great tools for those who aren't knowledgeable about setting up Windows networking is Network Magic, this should do all the complicated work for you with few clicks. Home Networking Help

Works for XP and Vista.

Hi
My dads printer is connected by USB to his computer and mine is connected to my computer by USB. My printer doesn't work right now so we would just need his connected to the network. Do I just plug his into our router?

If I download that software you were talking about, will that work even though i use Vista and he uses XP?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom