Need help with sharing a printer

Status
Not open for further replies.

memory

Daemon Poster
I have a family member who is having trouble sharing a printer through their network. Here is the deal. There are three computers connected to the same network. Two laptops running Vista and one desktop running XP. The printer is connected to the desktop and prints fine. The desktop has the modem and router connected to it. The printer is an Canon i560.

I am trying to be able to print to the desktop printer from the laptops wireless. The problem is I can not access the desktop at all from the laptop. It says I do not have permission. But I can access the laptop from the desktop. I am just trying to get it to work on one laptop right now. I have everything turned on in the network and sharing center on the laptop except for password protected and media sharing. File and printer sharing is allowed through the firewall on both the desktop and the laptop.

This is one thing I don't understand. On the desktop, when I try to setup a new home office or network, I should be choosing the first option, which is directly connected to the internet. But that does not work. If I choose the second option called residential gateway, it does what it is supposed to do. But that does not help anything.

I have tried turning the firewall off on the laptop and that did not help. All three computers are the same workgroup. All have admin accounts. Am I missing something here? Is it being difficult because it is XP and Vista on the same network?

No I have not enabled Guest accounts. Why would I need to do this? I have never had to do this in the past.

Besides enabling guest accounts, is there anything else I would need to do related to the guest accounts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom