Need help setting up a WAN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chromos1048

Baseband Member
A friend gave me a Kyocera KR2 for me to use with my Sprint card. I want to set up a network in my house. Problem is, I don't have the slightest clue how to get it configured/installed(no disc or anything). Do I need another router to do this? How do I get the card to work with it?

In short, I need a good instructable on how to set up a WAN network... and I can't find any... help would be appreciated.

A WAN is a wide area network, and if you are setting up a network in your house, then it is considered a LAN. A WAN is conceptually like several LANs connected together.

As for tutorials, you could try Google if you haven't already. Or you could try this tutorial which contains several network diagram configurations. Nothing detailed, but basic designs. Here is the main page.

It sounds like you want to set up a wlan (wireless network). If that is the case you will need a wireless router.

use ppp from the celluar device. it prolly uses dhcp.

set dhcp for the local lan network. This will allow auto config for the computers on the network.

any problems you can refer to the material below or post here

Kyocera PC Mobility - Kyocera KR2 Mobile Router Support

http://www.kyocera-wireless.com/kr2-router/pdf/kr2_user_guide_EN.pdf

The WAN (Wide Area Network) section is where you configure your Cellular and Wired Internet
Connection type.
Cellular Modem PPP Authentication (optional)
Some cellular service providers require a username and password in order to connect
over PPP (Point to Point Protocol). In most cases, the default values provided by the
router will work and you should only change them if told to do so by your cellular service
provider.

DHCP WAN Mode
A method of connection where the ISP assigns your IP address when your router
requests one from the ISP's server. Some ISP's require you to make some settings on
your side before your router can connect to the Internet.

Hello,
A WAN is a wide area network, and if you are setting up a network in your house, then it is considered a LAN...

It sounds like you want to set up a wlan (wireless network). If that is the case you will need a wireless router.

He wants to use a Kyocera KR2 mobile router (essentially a WWAN wireless router) to set up a home network. The key difference here with conventional cable/DSL wireless routers is that the Kyocera KR2 mobile router can also be connected to the Internet via EV-DO.

Is there any particular reason why you want to share a cellular Internet connection within the home? I ask this out of curiosity, since this technology is usually suited for a remote environment, where cable/DSL services aren't available.

Hello,
Is there any particular reason why you want to share a cellular Internet connection within the home? I ask this out of curiosity, since this technology is usually suited for a remote environment, where cable/DSL services aren't available.

Yeah, that reason... I literally have no other option.

I sent an Email to Kyocera... the problem I seem to have is that the setup wizard they talk about in the userguide doesn't come up- so I essentially can't configure it or anything.

From what it looks like, the wizard should just come up- but it doesn't... I'm thinking that I may need to get the firmware or something.

Update:

Kyocera contacted me back with the info. It said that once I have the router plugged in, I should open a browser and type in 609.168.0.1 into the bar.

So I tried that- doesn't work. It won't connect, telling me that something isn't configured right. So I tried connecting to it with the internet on; same thing.

Something is wierd here... it shouldn't be this hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom