need help setting up Physical network

Status
Not open for further replies.

z0ltan

Baseband Member
ok so I moved into an apartment that appears to be wired for ethernet. There are cat5e jacks (the top jack white and the bottom blue on all of them) all over the place and I found the box where they look to be connected. At least the white ones appear to be connected. (see Image)
img016.jpg

My ISP is wireless that im picking up with a Ruckus wireless modem from a node on a utility pole about 50 meters from my apartment. I hook a Linksys wireless router to the modem and set up my WLAN and it works just fine. So I start to think that I should use the wires in the walls so that I can hook up through a cable. Then I hook a straight through cable up to the back of the router, and put the other end into the white jack on the wall. I then power cycled the Linksys router.
I get nothing. My main question is, do I need to be hooking the linksys up to the wall with a cross over cable? Shouldn't a straight through work just fine? I tried the same process with the blue jack and still got nothing, and inside the box it looks like they are wired, but not necessarily connected. They look to be just coiled up inside of the box I found with no ends on them (but they are labeled for the rooms they connect to.) Any thoughts would be helpful and if you have any questions let me know. Thanks

-z0ltan

A straight through cable should be fine. You most likely have to check this guys wiring job.

You can just double check that your cable and router are working correctly by connecting the computer straight to the router skipping the wall connections just to make sure it is working and then you know its the wiring in the house.

You will want to put the router in the white box. You need connecters on the ones that you want to be live. Put the modem down there as well. Wire the modem into the wan port on the router. Then you plug the wires you want connection on into the other ports on the router. Then you will have a "live" connection in the room of choice.

So after thinking about it, and bouncing the idea off of some friends, I was thinking that maybe the white wires were part of some building wide lan and thats why I am not getting any connection to the router through the wall. The building offers Skypix or something like that (statlite internet)and I am pretty sure that you plug into the white plug to get that. So having said that, I think I'm going to use a toner to find which of the wires does not have the other end in my apartment, disconnect it, and plug in the blue wire that leads to the Jack closest to the modem (its wireless so it only likes being in certain spots.) Then do Modem->router->blue jack in the wall. If that doesnt work, I will just go buy a hub and some cat 5e ends for the blue wires and use those to set up my network.

What do you guys think about the white cables being some sort of closed LAN? When I had DSL we plugged into the white jack and were able to get that, maybe the DSL company has some sort of deal set up with the Satalite internet people, sharing the LAN? I really don't know. It doesn't really help that my land lord knows absolutly nothing about how/why the units were wired in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom