Need Help! Newbie trying to set up a basic network

Status
Not open for further replies.

smileygladhands

In Runtime
Alright,

I've done a bit of research and I have a bit of knowledge - not much - on the subject of networking.
I have two computers, one running XP Pro and one running XP Home. I would like to network them together and I'm trying to get a precise idea of every step I need to take.
I will need them both to be able to access the same internet connection.

As it is now, I have my broadband internet routed from the cable modem to each computer. I'd like to return the router and get a hub and crossover cable to set them up. Is that the correct first step?

I would also like for each computer to be able to access the same printer.

I would prefer to avoid a Wifi connection since the components for them are more than I want to spend right now.

Both computers have onboard LAN which I use for internet connections. Will I need two additional LAN ports (cards) on each computer to use for the crossover connection or just one for the primary computer and the secondary computer can access the internet through the primary via the crossover cable?

Also, will my secondary computer be able to acces the internet connection through my primary even if the primary computer's not on?

All information is appreciated.

The best way to share the Internet is to use a router rather than using a crossover cable. Connect the Internet to the router, and the router to the computers. XP should automatically detect everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom