need help with networking

Status
Not open for further replies.

2fast4u

Daemon Poster
i have a computer with 2000 and another with xp pro..... the xp can see the 2000 computer but the 2000 can't see the xp. y?? i made a new user on the xp computer... and i made sure they are on the same workgroup... what do i do? i want to share the c: to the computer with 2000 on it...

Are you behind a router?

Can you ping the machine name of either?

Are you under the Default "WORKGROUP"? Or have you altered the "Workgroup" name?

If you can ping the machine, connect to it by using this command via the run line.

\\computername\c$

Do you get an error?

Can't see it in my network place?

Can you ping the XP machine from the 2000 and ping the 2000 from the XP machine?

Try disabling the XP firewall but I doubt it would be the problem. Still a good idea to disable it for awhile until this is solve.

What you can try to do is on all computers open up command prompt and type in this command nbtstat -R this should clear our any negative cache the computers might still be holding.

the new workgroup is shop... and the xp computer is named darren.. i did \\darren\c$ and it said logon failure: the user has not been granted the requested logon type at this computer

In order to access an adminstrative share, you need an administrative account on both computer. If you still have the buildin administrative account and not renamed it, you should be provided with a prompt to login as that account.

Edit* also need to be login as administrator.

the admin name on the xp is darren and the default name on the 2000 is jojean.. how do i make it so i can access the xp computer without logging off?

Right click on "My Computer" select Map Network Drive. In the folder type in \\darren\c$ then select "Connect using a different user name" and put in darren and the password.

i did and it said the mapped network drive could not be created because the following error has occerred: logon failure: the user has not been granted the requested logon type at this computer

I was talking about from the 2000 machine to the XP.

Maybe the Darren account or the account you are logging on at the 2000 machine are not part of the adminsitrative group. Check Control Panel/Administrative tools/Computer Management.

Check Share/Share folder for listing of shares and hidden shares available on the computer

Check Local User and Group/Users, double click on the user to see it's propertie and group that it's in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom